× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

L1 Certification Help

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #11876 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic L1 Certification Help
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. There are plenty of L1's in the club so finding someone to be on your cert team won't be a problem. You can even get someone to guide you through the use of the delay adjustment tool and assembly of the motor.

Bring all you listed along. If you have a computer sim, bring that along, too. The only thing that would likely keep you from being able to make the attempt would be the weather.

Whatever you do, don't come down with GO fever. If it doesn't happen on the 28th, there will be other opportunities.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #11877 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic L1 Certification Help

Sorry for dredging up this thread again, but want to make sure I understand the next steps. I just put in an order for an H219 with hopes to do my L1 cert attempt on October 28th. It's one of those disposable motors systems-type motors, so not completely "plug and play". I have a Aerotech universal delay drilling tool in the order. I've watched Tim V's videos on DMS' and the tool it so I think I can handle it, but if you have any tips on dealing with this type of motor I'm all ears!

So here's the big question: Is it safe to assume that if I bring the rocket, motor and certification application to the 28th launch I'll be able to get a "certification team"? Should I just go to the RSO and ask?  

By the way - CMASS has helped make this year awesome. I am so grateful for all that the club and it's leaders put into the launch events. I've been to all the launches since April and a few of the 2x monthly zoom calls. Sadly I'll be away and will miss the October 14th launch. Hoping for good weather on the 28th!

Thanks!
Gerry

Hi Gerry...
You need either two L1's or 1 L2 for that.  Assuming I can make that launch (and I certainly intend to!) You can count on me to help you out... I'm familiar with the Aerotech tools.   And there are several others that I'm sure would be happy to help.   I can form half of your "committee", as I'm an L1.  If an L2 steps in, then that's sufficient.

John
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by DeltaVee.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #11878 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic L1 Certification Help
Kenn - Glad to hear I'm on the right track still. I've already got it clear in my head that this may have to wait until spring if things don't pan out, like the weather, or getting the motor in time (Apogee's deliveries have been kinda slow lately). In fact, a week ago I had resigned myself to waiting, but with the launch moved back to the 28th I saw a window of opportunity, but I promise no, GO fever from me!

John - I'd very much appreciate help with the delay drilling and offering to be a witness.

Thank you both!

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #11887 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic L1 Certification Help
I intend on attending the next three launches on the schedule/
I am L2 certified which would allow me to be a witness. I have an Aerotech DMS drilling tool if you need to borrow it.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11889 by Gerry
This is great - thank you so much. I can't make the launch this weekend, so I'm aiming for the L1 cert attempt on Oct. 28th. 

Gerry

More
6 months 3 days ago #11934 by Gerry
L1 certification today! Big thanks to Frank and John. I am so psyched! I'll post a video soon.

-Gerry