× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

New to CMASS

• RandyR
  • RandyR's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago #7533 by RandyR
New to CMASS was created by RandyR
I'd like to introduce myself. I've been living out of the country for the last 2 1/2 years and now I would like to get back into the hobby. I've flown a lot of LPR and MPR, but definitely want to get into HPR. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually started my cert 1 project 14 years ago! It's a PML Mini BBX which is now finally almost finished. I should be ready for my Cert 1 flight in October. So a question I guess I have is how do I go about organizing this? Is there always enough certified members at a launch?

Also, I have decided on a LOC HyperLoc 1600 rocket for Cert 2. I recently ordered it and I'm sure I will have lots of questions a long the way so I'm really looking forward to be a part of CMASS.

Best regards,
Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #7534 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: New to CMASS
Randy,

Welcome back to rocketry and to CMASS, as well. 14 years is a bit of time but all the glue and epoxy joints should be set by now. ;)

For Level 1 certification, along with your NAR membership you only need one existing L1 to be present and another NAR member. Even an L2 can certify you solely. However, at any CMASS launch, you can't swing test a rocket for proper placement of CG/CP without hitting an L1 or better. There won't be a problem with witnessing personnel.

If you haven't selected a motor yet, check Animal Motor Works under the vendor section of the Links button under the Main Menu at the left of this page. AMW/CTI will likely have a cert deal available for hardware and reload and they are represented at all the CMASS launches.

This month on the 2nd and 16th, there are club meetings in Marlborough. If you can make it to one or both of these, you can tap into a wealth of information.

Hope to meet you at our upcoming launches.
Kenn

• RandyR
More
9 years 8 months ago #7535 by RandyR
Replied by RandyR on topic Re: New to CMASS
Thank you Kenn. Yeah, I guess the epoxy should be set by now - hahaha. It's amazing how time flies! I got into this hobby/sport to get my kids interested in physics and science. I'm not sure they got the bug, but when I saw there were rockets beyond estes (not that there is anything wrong with estes) I became hooked.

I live in Southborough so making Marlborough meetings should not be a problem for me. I'll try to make the one tomorrow and/or the one on the 16th.

Does CMASS have a standing waiver? What is the max altitude I can plan for?

I'm really excited about getting back into model rocketry and being a part of CMASS.

Randy

• RandyR
More
9 years 8 months ago #7536 by RandyR
Replied by RandyR on topic Re: New to CMASS
Oh and one more question. Is it appropriate to bring my Mini BBX to a meeting to have some experienced fliers inspect it for any potential construction issues? I've put 14 years into it so I don't want it exploding on the pad - lol.

More
9 years 8 months ago #7537 by jbuscaglia
Replied by jbuscaglia on topic Re: New to CMASS

Oh and one more question. Is it appropriate to bring my Mini BBX to a meeting to have some experienced fliers inspect it for any potential construction issues? I've put 14 years into it so I don't want it exploding on the pad - lol.

By all means, bring it along. We're usually not shy about sharing our opinions. :)

Most folks bring something to work on at the meetings.