× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

New Member, Looking for Advice

More
9 years 8 months ago #7477 by lentamentalisk
New Member, Looking for Advice was created by lentamentalisk
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MA, and hoping to come to my first CMASS launch on the 23rd. I probably wont be flying because my rockets and casings are on opposite sides of the US, but I will be remedying that for future launches.

Is there anything I should know in advance?

Are there motor size or altitude limits for each of the fields? Also what is the food/water/bathroom situation for the different launch sites? Do vendors often come to the launches? Specifically I'm hoping to get my hands on some black powder charges.

Thanks so much,

Jamie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #7478 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice
Hello Jamie,

Welcome to Massachusetts and to CMASS. This year we've been launching on two or our usual fields, Acton and Amesbury, and have had joint launches with clubs in Rhode Island and Maine at their fields.

For the Acton launch on the 23rd of August, there is a brief description of the restrictions on our FAQs page. Due to the proximity of trees and a major roadway, we keep it limited to strictly model rockets.

At our launches in Amesbury, we have a 3900-foot AGL altitude limitation and, with certification, a maximum of a K-impulse motor. Again, we have some natural and manmade hazards around this site so judgment must be used to determine how much of the envelope you would want to use.

if you are looking for BP charges for a dual deployment rocket, you could very likely find someone on the field willing to loan you some until you figure out what you can obtain and store on your own. We have Fliskits attending most all of our launches and AMW/ProX support most of our launches with an on-field presence. AMW is a good source for MPR and HPR supplies, kits and CTI reloads. If they can't cover a launch, you can contact them ahead of time and arrange for materials to be transported to a launch anyway.

We have various club members who take turns volunteering for food service duty at each launch. We serve hot dogs, soft drinks and chips/snacks at the field as part of our fund raising activities. There are port-o-let facilities at both the Acton and Amesbury sites. Because each field charges us rent, we do impose a launch fee of $5/day or $20 for a season pass but it gives you unlimited launches for you and your guests.

I hope this covers everything you were wondering about. Check out the menu items at the left side of the webpage and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Looking forward to meeting you in Acton on the 23rd.

Kenn Blade
Ambassador-at-Large
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by KennB.

More
9 years 8 months ago #7479 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice

I'm hoping to get my hands on some black powder charges.

I can help you there. I can store it legally and I have more than I'll ever use. To keep it on the up and up I can only give you what you'll use that day but I'll be happy to do so. Just remind be a day or so before the launch.

More
9 years 8 months ago #7480 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice
Jamie,

If you can, come up to the meeting in Saugus on the 19th before the next launch. This will give you a chance to meet some of the folks involved while they're not running around getting everything done during a launch.

Kenn

More
9 years 8 months ago #7481 by lentamentalisk
Replied by lentamentalisk on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice
Thanks for all the helpful comments!

I'll definitely see if I can come to the club meeting. It would be great to get to meet you all. I've been out of the rocketry world for a few years due to financial reasons (starving college student). As a result, I've got some leftover F39s burning a hole in my pocket and nothing to put them in.

And thanks so much for the offer Bill. Like I mentioned, I have no rockets at the moment, but I'm making one with a chute cutter, so I shouldn't need more than .1ml at a time ever.