The Night Before Christmas

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #8734 by deangelo54
The Night Before Christmas was created by deangelo54
Obviously we enjoy rocketry which is why we belong to CMASS and why you are reading this Forum post.
For the last three years or so, on average I attend 20 launches. The day before a launch I start to think about what rockets I'm going to bring, do I really want to put up the canopy, will Jason have the reloads I need, will Gloria be there to cook hamburgers? Does cake and hotdogs go together. By the time I get home and in to the evening I really start getting jacked and pumped. By night time I'm like a kid on the night before Christmas.

When I used to race motorcycles during the late 70's early 80's one of the club officials described racing as the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Given that I haven't raced since 1982 rocketry is my most fun hobby. When you CATO or crash on a racing motorcycle, chances are you are going to need medical attention. I was just wondering what other rocketeers do to get ready before a launch and what their level of excitement and anticipation is on Friday night?

For you bachelors out there good news. Young girls think rocketry is cool. Two of the young woman where I work found out that I am involved in amateur rocketry. After showing them a few photos they thought it was really cool. When I brought Michael up to UMASS Amherst a young lady on campus recognized me from CMASS/MMMSC and thinks it's cool that I am involved with rockets. Please note that the girls said the hobby is cool not me. Either way invite that special person at the office that you have had your eye on but aren't sure how to break the ice. Just so you know, Linda told me that a couple of CMASS hotdogs, chips and a Coke does not count as a dinner date.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #8735 by therocketn00b
Replied by therocketn00b on topic The Night Before Christmas
For me, prep the night before may start early or late, but regardless of when I start, I always wish I'd started earlier.

It's not as bad as it used to be. Now I pack up whichever rockets I decide to take (I used to take ALL of them, which was never a good idea), and only really fully prep certain ones. Smaller rockets with little plastic parachutes which would be a pain to do on the field with wind blowing. But for larger rockets - ones I'd need to put a Chute Release in, especially - I just pack those into the box, and figure I'll deal with the chutes on the field.

Now, it no longer takes me till 1 or 2 in the morning to get ready. Tonight, I was done around 9:30 or so.

Apart from the lack of sleep the night before, and wishing I lived closer to the field so I could sleep a little later on Saturday, once I get there, I'm pumped.

I almost never fly as many as I want to. I get there, and it seems a bit windy, so I get kind of careful. But when I have a good flight, MAN is it a blast!

I really don't know why I love rocketry so much. I just got into it three years ago, but it's got me hooked. I'd spend more time on it if I had the energy. Flights are thrilling, but that's only part of it. I think I've always wanted to be able to make something, but never felt I had the skill. Well, I've pretty quickly gotten to where I can build a rocket which I think looks pretty nice - either a kit or from scratch - and not only does it look cool, but it flies.

I also love being part of this hobby which, even though most people don't know about it, is really active and big. Trying to share that with outsiders is fun. I'm bringing a new friend to the FlisKits launch tomorrow - I may have a new convert!

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #8737 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The Night Before Christmas
My sentiments exactly. Except the fact that I'm not as organized as you, your post describes how I feel. For a second I thought it was my post. HA HA.