Parts for D-Region Tomahawk

• BiggerHigherFaster
More
13 years 6 months ago #4670 by BiggerHigherFaster
Parts for D-Region Tomahawk was created by BiggerHigherFaster
Hi Everyone,
First, My son (12) and I attended our first CMASS Launch and had a great time seeing all the rockets, talking with enthusiasts young and old, as well as launching our own rockets. It was really a great time and we will definitely come back! :woohoo: Probably come back for the Nov. 20th launch assuming the weather holds.

The only \"down\" side is that the D-Region Tomahawk that my son built did did not deploy it\'s shoot and nosed into the ground ballistically, burying itself about 6 inches. According to one witness the charge popped after it hit, a little like a bad Wiley E. Coyote build. Most of the rocket was okay except for the upper portion of the body tube and the tube coupler. These are apparently non-standard parts and we can\'t just order them from the catalog (according the Estes they have to go to China for them... what else is new :( ]

Before I buy a whole new kit, does anyone have one or two body tubes and the couplers for this model that I can purchase?

I am also considering dropping the upper portion of the body, cutting down the engine mount tube and shortening the whole thing up. Any experience with that or ideas about center of mass/ center of thrust issues?

Thanks,
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4672 by Questor
Replied by Questor on topic Re:Parts for D-Region Tomahawk
I have a new kit for sale. Price is US$30.00 if you are interested? I had the kit at the launch and I was the one who commented that your delay was too long after your flight. Sorry no parts.

• BiggerHigherFaster
More
13 years 6 months ago #4673 by BiggerHigherFaster
Replied by BiggerHigherFaster on topic Re:Parts for D-Region Tomahawk
Hey Questor,
Thanks for the advice and the offer. I saw your kit and thought about it, but it seemed like more fun if we could fix ours. If I get tired of that then I will see if you have sold yours yet.

Thanks again,
Nick

More
13 years 6 months ago #4684 by Marsfire
Replied by Marsfire on topic Re:Parts for D-Region Tomahawk
Unless Estes invented a new tube size, you should be able to get a tube and coupler to fit it from Totally Tubular, Balsa Machining Service, or Semroc pretty easily. It\'s probably an old Centuri tube. You can\'t just chop it up, then it won\'t be \"scale\" anymore. ;)

Andrew