× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Aerotech ejection charge

• ClaudeMaina
  • ClaudeMaina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 8 months ago #8080 by ClaudeMaina
Aerotech ejection charge was created by ClaudeMaina
I flew my Wildman Vindicator Jr, this past Saturday with MMMSC in Berwick Maine with an Aerotech I357T-M. I was using a Perfectflight altimeter for dual deploy - drogue parachute at apogee and main parachute at 400 ft. The flight was great, everything worked well and I recovered the rocket on the field with no damage; it reached a max height of 2331 ft. Last night, I took apart the motor casing to clean everything and noticed that the motor ejection charge did not ignite. The delay burned through but the black powder was untouched. This is a first for me.

The opening in the forward closure that allows the delay to ignite the black powder was clear both before and after the launch. This motor comes with the red plastic cap that seals the forward closure and I used the cap. I did do one thing differently this time. In all of my previous high power flights with Aerotech motors, I have inserted a small piece of Estes wadding above the black powder as a way of packing it down. I did not do that this time. It seemed that there was sufficient black powder that it would pack down once I placed the red cap on, and so I did not use any wadding to pack the black powder.

My normal protocol is to prep the motor the night before and keep in it the house in an upright position. It is kept that way in route to the launch and is only horizontal while inserting it into the rocket, and laying on the ground as I lower the launch rail.

I did contact Aerotech to see what suggestions they have, but have not heard back yet (I'm not asking for a refund since the flight worked well and there was no damage to anything). If I get a response form Aerotech, I'll post it here.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Claude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #8082 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: Aerotech ejection charge
I usually shake the motor a few times after putting the red cap on to try and help make sure the BP is on contact with the delay charge.

• ClaudeMaina
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 8 months ago #8083 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic Re: Aerotech ejection charge
I heard back from Aerotech:
Hi Claude,

It Happens... the Black Powder moves away from delay element at delay burn out and does not ignite the powder, there isn't any flame projection typically, so no flame comes in contact with the Black Powder....that's the simple explanation........K

Karl Baumann
Warranty & Tech Support
RCS/Aerotech Inc.

I guess I should have known that. I make sure to shake it a pack it down from now on.

More
8 years 8 months ago #8084 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re: Aerotech ejection charge
The second flight of my 4 inch LOC V2 had the same problem.
As it had no electronics, it came in ballistic, and has since been rebuilt.

From now on will fly this only on CTI loads.
CTI 29mm delays are much larger than Aerotech's and generate much more smoke and fire.

This is one of several reasons why CTI delays have a better reputation for reliability.

It seems unreasonable to require all kinds of special handling to try to get AT's ejections to work.

• ClaudeMaina
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 8 months ago #8086 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic Re: Aerotech ejection charge
Thinking more about this:

'It Happens'

is probably not the best response from a tech support person. A better response would have been: 'I'm sorry that happened. This is how to prevent it in the future.' or even better: 'We are working to prevent that from happening with our reloads.'

I'm new to CTI but I agree that they seem to be more reliable. Although I'll probably continue to use both.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #8088 by Parrythewind
Replied by Parrythewind on topic Re: Aerotech ejection charge
Wadding or dog barf seem the right thing to do. I will also be paying more attention to the size of the charge in relation to my ground testing. I am currently having a hard time with copperheads even igniting. A different initiator and the fourth time should be a charm. I also find the response a little unsettling.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Parrythewind. Reason: gramma,...