× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Safety Statistics

• ClaudeMaina
  • ClaudeMaina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 3 months ago #4928 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic Re:Safety Statistics
I got a (minimal) reply back from Trip Barber\" copied below

\"Attached www.nar.org/pdf/hobby_overview.pdf is our standard safety handout. No one has ever been killed due to the flight of a model rocket in over 500 million flights. I am aware of 6 people being killed trying to pull rockets off live power lines where they had landed. The rate of injury from being struck by a model rocket is less than one in five million, and these injuries are almost always minor. We do not get reports of most of these incidents, as they typically occur to people who are not NAR members and are not flying in accordance with our safety codes or under our insurance coverage. My estimate is based on the rate of lawsuits filed against Estes. Following the NAR Safety Code is the best way to make sure that injuries do not occur.\"

I was hoping for some harder numbers but apparently the NAR does not keep track of launch totals or accident reports. I asked specifically about this and Trip\'s reply was:

\"There has not been a personal injury reported to NAR headquarters or to our insurance from an NAR launch since 1980 to my knowledge.\"

This helps a little.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #4929 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re:Safety Statistics
I read the hobby_overview 1 page that Trip sent you (thanks for the link), and although its a bit techinical (quoting a lot of regulation numbers), the tone is good. I think you could include that (or a portion of that) on the back of the letter you are writing and be good to go. Option 2, just lift the first paragraph off the overview and include it in your letter. I also agree with what Dave L says, hard numbers are probably not your friend, open to incorrect interpretation. -Alan

More
13 years 3 months ago #4930 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Safety Statistics
alan wrote:

billspad wrote:

Parts of it are dated (it still says you can mail rocket engines).

Doesn\'t USPS parcel post count as mail? I just got about 300 BP motors 1/4A thru D in the mail today. -Alan

A dealer can mail motors, you can\'t.

More
13 years 3 months ago #4935 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re:Safety Statistics
billspad wrote:

A dealer can mail motors, you can\'t.

I don\'t see in here anything about being a dealer,,, but one does need \"prior written permission\" and follow a bunch a procedures...

pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52apxc_002.htm

USPS Packaging Instruction 1A
Toy Propellant Devices

The proper shipping name for a mailable toy propellant device is \"model rocket motor\" or \"igniter.\" A device that is assigned identification number NA0323 or UN0454 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only, provided that all requirements are met and the device is properly packaged as follows.

Postal Explorer > Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail > Appendix C > USPS Packaging Instruction 1A > Proper Shipping Name and ID Number

Prior written permission must be obtained from the Manager, Mailing Standards, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC (see DMM 608.8 for mailing address).

Manager Mailing Standards
US Postal Service
475 L\'Enfant Plz SW Rm 4446
Washington DC 20260-4446
...snip...
Note: Full responsibility rests with the mailer to comply with DOT and ATF regulations before mailing. A legible photocopy of the Mailing Standards Manager\'s approval letter must be presented by the mailer to the postal acceptance clerk at the time of mailing.

More
13 years 3 months ago #4936 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Safety Statistics
Okay, you caught me over generalizing. You could do it yourself but it wouldn\'t be worth the effort unless you were doing it as a business.