× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to trade build ideas and kit reviews.

First Rocket Design

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #11754 by RyanNoonan13
First Rocket Design was created by RyanNoonan13
So, i have decided to design my first rocket. after launching prebuilt rockets a grand total of two times
I will try to post as much of the design process and building on here as possible. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #11755 by RyanNoonan13
Replied by RyanNoonan13 on topic First Rocket Design
ibb.co/GnTDPCV   The openrocket design
I intend to 3d print the engine block and nosecone. The motor is a c6-5, and i will make the fins out of layered index cards, and it will reach an apogee of around 300 feet
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by RyanNoonan13.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #11756 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic First Rocket Design
Be careful with 3D printed plastic parts in contact with the motor; a C6-5 can get warm enough to soften many compounds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanNoonan13

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #11757 by RyanNoonan13
Replied by RyanNoonan13 on topic First Rocket Design
would wrapping a small layer of aluminum foil inside the engine block help prevent softening?

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #11758 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic First Rocket Design
I wish this post was up prior to the July 15th launch. I probably have some parts I can give you, including an engine block or two.
Check out www.apogeerockets.com/
Click on How to Guides. There are some great videos in Advanced Construction Videos and great information in Peak of Flight News Letters.

The most important thing is to make sure your rocket it stable.  The NAR has some helpful videos.
www.nar.org/educational-resources/

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #11759 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic First Rocket Design
The simple answer is to keep it simple.  A lot of rockets can be made with a Nose Cone, one size Body Tube and a set of fins.  As you complicate the design, be careful not to over-engineer it.  Remember, you want to keep the bottom end of the rocket as light as possible for stability reasons.  The heavier you make the back, the more weight needs to go in front sometimes, and it is easy to run away on ya!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanNoonan13