× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Winter 2022 Builds

More
2 years 2 months ago #10982 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter 2022 Builds
Can you please post a photo of the under side of the piston. Curious as how the Kevlar line connects to it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KennB
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 2 months ago #10983 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Winter 2022 Builds

I had somewhat of a "spur of the moment" idea a couple weeks back to make another 3D printed figurine rocket, so Boba Fett was born. Someone on Facebook suggested perhaps a drag race between him and Mando could be in the future. The issue here is availability of 1010 rails. I know the club typically only has one (and I personally only have one for local field launching.) Are there other concerns for having more than one rail available or purely a cost issue?

Setting up multiple rails isn't a problem. We typically don't have that much demand in the LPR-MPR circle and have the rails and stands from the HPR pads.If you've got a good rail set up, bring it along.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10984 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic Winter 2022 Builds
I'll show the installation of the piston into my Patriot.  The body tube size is BT-80, so the "Piston" is an Estes BT-80 coupler cut in half, 1 and 1/2 inch length.  The bulkhead is made from 1/8 inch birch plywood.  Usually I use epoxy, but I used Titebond III on this one.  I drilled a hole in the middle of the bulkhead just big enough for the kevlar cord to pass thru twice.

Bring a loop of the kevlar thru the bulkhead

Make a knot in the loop so that the kevlar cord can not pass back thru the bulkhead. 

Glue or epoxy the kevlar cord in place on both sides of the bulkhead.

The kevlar loop will be for connecting to the shock cord.
Attachments:

• alexrocketry
  • alexrocketry's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #10985 by alexrocketry
Replied by alexrocketry on topic Winter 2022 Builds
Does CMASS have a 1515 rail? I am working on a rocket that could go either way for 1010 or 1515 rail. I likely am flying this rocket at the Rhode Island site but I may be able to sneak a trip to Amesbury in the Fall. 

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #10986 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Winter 2022 Builds
Yes, CMASS has a 1515 rail. We usually do not set it up unless someone requests it. There is a box on the launch signup sheet for each launch to request the 1515 rail in advance. We request that if someone needs the 1515 rail that they help with the setup and/or tear down of that pad.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by guyw. Reason: missing word

• alexrocketry
  • alexrocketry's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #10990 by alexrocketry
Replied by alexrocketry on topic Winter 2022 Builds
Understood and sounds good!