Volunteer Opportunity to launch rockets

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #11376 by KennB
I've received the following email regarding a request for volunteers.This does conflict with our scheduled club launch but is a good opportunity to expose more people to our hobby. If you're interested in helping out, contact Jim Moe at 603-772-5600 as he is helping Tom coordinate the rocketry portion of the day. He's talked to some CMASS members already but more people are needed. There may even be a chance to launch some of your own rockets but the field is small; keep them to 300-ft altitude or below - saucers are always crowd pleasers.

Hi All, 

I am writing on behalf of the New England Fall Astronomy Festival set for Sept 30 and Oct 1 at the UNH Observatory in Durham, NH.  One of the activities is rocket building and launches for kids.  We're looking for volunteers to help kids put together a simple rocket (Estes FireStreak SST) and manage the launch field. 

We have a five-rocket platform, a six pad launch controller and a big field.  We also have all the kits, motors and other supplies for the building.  We plan to do the rocketry activity on Saturday, Oct. 1 from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and expect to run 3 building and launching sessions.  We expect to have 25 kids per session for a total of 75 builds and launches. 

We have a one volunteer so far from Maine Missile Math and Science Club for the activity but can certainly use more. 

Thanks in advance for your consideration .  We would greatly appreciate any help you all could lend.  You can find out more about the festival at the following link. 

Cheers,  Tom/. Tom Cocchiaro, event co-founder, (603) 828-2447. 
extension.unh.edu/new-england-fall-astronomy-festival-nefaf

Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by KennB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #11378 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Volunteer Opportunity to launch rockets
Combined from the  Volunteers Needed for the UNH Durham Astronomy festival on October 1st. thread Tony started:

Hello fellow CMASS Club members! Please Join Jim Moe and Myself, Tony Shaw at the Annual UNH Durham Astronomy Festival! There are going to be famous speakers and tons of telescopes to view the sun and our evening celestial bodies!  Also Jim, Peter, Liz, Susan and I are going to be helping children build and launch Rockets! Yes a rocket launch! What an opportunity to recruit people to our hobby, sport and to our Club!!  But we need more volunteers and reps from CMASS!!! Please contact Jim @ 6037725600 or me @ 6172858520 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  Please don't wait! hurry!
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by KennB.

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 5 months ago #11399 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Volunteer Opportunity to launch rockets
For those who will be helping out at this festival, thank you.
With the conditions in Amesbury looking meh, maybe a few more would consider working the festival.

We'll have two more scheduled launches in Amesbury this year but the festival is a one-day deal.