Coming Sale at Hog Heaven Hobbies: 3/11-3/19

• RD-ROX
  • RD-ROX's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 1 month ago #11015 by RD-ROX
I'm not sure how many in the club have already checked out Hog Heaven Hobbies, in Sturbridge (Fiskdale), right on Rt. 20. Their anniversary sale is coming up and here's the skinny:

===============
March 11-19, 2022
29th Anniversary Sale

15% OFF: Radio control, receivers, servos, simulators, airplanes, boats, cars, helicopters, kits, ARFs, RTFs, parts & accessories, engines, motors.

20% OFF EVERYTHING ELSE: Trains, plastic models, toys, slot cars, wood, glue, rockets, tools, dollhouse, books, scenery, paint, batteries, chargers.
===============

They only carry Estes, but they're pretty well stocked with kits, motors, and accessories. They also tend to carry a few recent OOP kits. The store's biggest strength is supplies - best I've seen in New England, of late. Fantastic stocks on balsa and basswood as well a great paint selection. If you haven't checked 'em out, you should. And unlike the often glum,funeral-like atmosphere of Hobby Emporium or Spare Time, the crew at Hog Heaven is usually a upbeat and helpful bunch (in my experience). Here's the link to their site:

www.hogheavenhobbies.com/

--Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #11019 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Coming Sale at Hog Heaven Hobbies: 3/11-3/19
Funny that you should mention the atmosphere at the Hobby Emporium and Spare Time Shop. I always feel a negative vibe when I go to both places but I could never put my finger on it Your description is spot on. I always feel like I am imposing when I go there. Like I'm putting them out. I remember the time I used the birthday coupon to buy over $100 worth of rocketry stuff and the guy at the counter seemed angry at me. I don't mean to slam both shops which is why in the past I have kept my feelings private. I guess I needed someone to validate how I felt and now I know it isn't just me. I feel it is important to support brick and mortar hobby shops but after a long drive to get there I shouldn't feel like the people at the shops are doing me a favor my taking my money. I'm probably going to get slammed by some people but I am just being honest and now I know it's not just me.

More
2 years 1 month ago #11020 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Coming Sale at Hog Heaven Hobbies: 3/11-3/19
Maybe you go at the wrong time... I've never gotten that impression of spare time shop. I have very pleasant chats usually... true, the new dude behind the counter isn't a pleasant as the fellow who passed away but he's gotten better.

Now hobby emporium dudes seem rougher around the edges... still not what is characterize as "funeral atmosphere".

More
2 years 1 month ago #11021 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Coming Sale at Hog Heaven Hobbies: 3/11-3/19
I don't know what to tell you. I'm just expressing how I feel. A few years ago I was coming home from a RIMRA launch and I was very low on gas. I took an exit off of RT 95 North to gas up and low and behold, in a strip mall next to the gas station was a hobby shop. The guy there was super friendly. They had a ton of rocketry inventory. I'm not sure what town but there was an Ocean State Job lot in the mall. We bought a $35 bird bath that didn't last very long. I should have bought a rocket kit instead. Either way, I hope my funeral is more upbeat than the Hobby Emporium or Spare Time Shop. We ended up getting a $180 bird bath for $130 and the birds love it. A $130 gets you some good composite motors but I promised Linda I would get her a quality bird bath.

More
2 years 1 month ago #11022 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Coming Sale at Hog Heaven Hobbies: 3/11-3/19
Not necessarily saying anything, I just don't think it's that bad... besides, they're only 4 miles away!

• RD-ROX
  • RD-ROX's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 1 month ago #11023 by RD-ROX
To be clear, I'm not bashing either of those long-serving stores on their basic service and stock. I've gotten some good (nay, "great") deals at both places and they do have knowledgeable staffs. I'm grateful for what they offer and their club/annual/birthday discounts. And yes, timing does matter. The tired vibe I get is mostly from the two store owners - both who've been in the biz since the mid-seventies. They're survivors, but it seems to have sapped a lot of their passion in the process. The younger staff, if your timing allows you to catch, seems to bring more energy to the show from what I've heard.

At any rate, I didn't start this to bash those two shops - not at all! I just finding the owners at Hog Heaven to offer a more welcoming and motivated vibe. Maybe more importantly, their stock on raw materials and supplies - especially for our end of the hobby - seems much deeper/wider. Their balsa stock is quite inspiring. But on rocketry, specifically, they're just an Estes shop. Spare Time still seems to have the best variety (Estes, Quest, Custom, Aerotech) on rocketry lines.