× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Interesting 2 stage failure question

• BiggerHigherFaster
More
13 years 5 months ago #4782 by BiggerHigherFaster
Interesting 2 stage failure question was created by BiggerHigherFaster
Son and i had a great time at launch the on Sunday. We enjoyed launching our new builds plus some old standbys and watching the other creations being launched.

I had an interesting failure that I wanted to get some opinions on.
I had a two stage Quest Zenith II that I launched for the second time on Sunday. I launched it on a C6-0 and a C6-5. It flew really nicely and went higher then I have had anything go before :)
The failure occurred in the first stage. That stage is tumble recovery. When it separated, two of the three fins ripped off the body tube at the root. The glue did not fail, the paper failed. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4783 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re:Interesting 2 stage failure question
Yes, the top layer of paper on the tube comes off the tube but layer fragment is securely glued to the fin root edge. Reattach (without cleaning off the paper on the fin) using expoy, add lots of fillet layers to both sides off all the fins. If that doesn\'t do it, reinforce the fin-to-tube joint with paper angle brackets coated with glue on both sides.

At this point next time you recover the 1st stage its more likley that the fins will break off in the middle of the fin (if the fin stock is thin) rather than come off the tube. Can you rig up some sort of small streamer recovery to the 1st stage to slow it down some on decent?

Some people say its just easier to glue the fins back on with white glue each time, instead of having to make a replacement fin that has broken in the middle. You decide.

-Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.