× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!

• dlindbergh
  • dlindbergh's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4754 by dlindbergh
Replied by dlindbergh on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!

Might be time to update your GPS. 6+ seconds to regain lock is excessive. I believe you should be able to find one that recovers in 1 or at most 2 seconds.

Yes, the last flight on 11/6 took longer to regain GPS lock than my previous flights - not sure why.

It\'s a pretty old GPS (~ 2008). I have a new one I haven\'t installed on a board yet - I expect to have that ready for the first flight of the season next year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4757 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!
dlindbergh wrote:

You launch your rocket with the wind blowing from west to east. The rocket goes straight up but on the way down it gets carried to the east by the wind. How do you get back to the pad?

The parachute, just like a glider, has some forward airspeed. (About 12 MPH the way it\'s setup now.)

As long as the wind speed is less than that, the rocket can make progress even upwind. It knows how to compensate steering for the wind (in theory, anyway).

Suppose the wind is 8 MPH, and the pad is straight upwind from the rocket. The rocket faces into the wind and flies at 12 MPH airspeed, so it makes 12-8 = 4 MPH toward the pad.

If the wind is faster than the airspeed, then it doesn\'t work (and as a matter of fact, the software will get confused and won\'t even figure out how to steer upwind - but I have ideas on how to fix that...)

I get the theory. My glider didn\'t. Clearly I wasn\'t any good at compensating for the wind. I just got higher and higher until I gave up and watched it land in the swamp. In my case I evidently had too much lift and not enough forward speed which is odd for anything I\'ve built with wings.

• dlindbergh
More
13 years 5 months ago #4758 by dlindbergh

I get the theory. My glider didn\'t. Clearly I wasn\'t any good at compensating for the wind.

If the wind speed is close to the airspeed of the glider, it\'s harder than you\'d think to avoid drifting downwind. There are only a narrow range of angles that are close enough to \"dead upwind\" to make progress.

If you\'re flying R/C and don\'t have a very exact idea of the angle of flight vs. the wind direction, it\'s really hard to keep it pointed upwind. (It\'s much easier if you\'re inside the airplane flying it - then you just look at the ground to see which way you\'re being blown.)

--Dave

More
13 years 5 months ago #4759 by dostergaard
Replied by dostergaard on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!
Hi Dave,

This project is wicked cool! I was wondering if something along these lines was feasible.

From your project progress so far it looks like it is!

Do you have a link to any specs for the chute you\'re using? Google was not very forthcoming with that info. :(

I have a little experience with parachutes from my young single days as a skydiver. (Forbidden activity now that I have a wife and kids.)

No, no broken bones and I\'ve never been in a \"perfectly good\" airplane.:P

Dean

• dlindbergh
More
13 years 5 months ago #4761 by dlindbergh

Do you have a link to any specs for the chute you\'re using? Google was not very forthcoming with that info.

It\'s a NASA NPW5 design. It was designed by Francis Rogallo (of delta wing fame) to enable Apollo capsules to be flown by an astronaut to a landing strip. Of course, they never ended up doing that. The particular chute I\'m using was meant as a small kite; it\'s out of production now (I can get larger ones, but not any more this size.)

But in principle I can use any steerable parachute, including the ram-foil types favored by skydivers.

I have a little experience with parachutes from my young single days as a skydiver. (Forbidden activity now that I have a wife and kids.)

I know what you mean - my wife doesn\'t even like the idea of flying in perfectly good airplanes, let alone jumping out.

I could _really_ use help from someone more knowledgeable about parachutes - packing and deployment without tangling has been a problem. And I\'d like to know how to \"trim\" the chute for a higher flying speed (lower angle of attack).

Want to help?

More
13 years 5 months ago #4764 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!
dlindbergh wrote:

I get the theory. My glider didn\'t. Clearly I wasn\'t any good at compensating for the wind.

If the wind speed is close to the airspeed of the glider, it\'s harder than you\'d think to avoid drifting downwind. There are only a narrow range of angles that are close enough to \"dead upwind\" to make progress.

If you\'re flying R/C and don\'t have a very exact idea of the angle of flight vs. the wind direction, it\'s really hard to keep it pointed upwind. (It\'s much easier if you\'re inside the airplane flying it - then you just look at the ground to see which way you\'re being blown.)

--Dave

If you\'ve ever seen me flying gliders you\'d know I don\'t have an exact idea of anything.