× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!

• dlindbergh
  • dlindbergh's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4734 by dlindbergh
11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!! was created by dlindbergh
I\'m psyched!

I\'ve been analyzing the logged data from my last flight on 11/6, and it looks like the GPS-steered parachute navigation toward the pad was probably REAL (not an accident, as I\'d feared).

Details are here: nerdfever.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Flight-Test-Notes3.pdf

I\'m not 100% sure, but it looks good.

I\'ve vastly shortened the parachute lines and have a new packing method which I hope will prevent the lines from tangling. I\'m going to try to improve the steering algorithm (to cope with lots of unexpected noise in the GPS fixes) and try again on Saturday (winds permitting).

--Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4735 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!
Very cool.

It sure looked like it was heading back towards the pad.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4737 by HotRod Lincoln
Replied by HotRod Lincoln on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!
Great news!
I\'ve followed this project for? I guess a couple of years now.

Nice to see good results from something so complex.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4739 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!
You launch your rocket with the wind blowing from west to east. The rocket goes straight up but on the way down it gets carried to the east by the wind. How do you get back to the pad?

My extensive RC glider experience (No smiley needed here, it\'s understood)tells me that you\'re never going to get there.

Even if you can\'t find your way back home watching it steer is still impressive.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4744 by bobkrech
Replied by bobkrech on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!
Might be time to update your GPS. 6+ seconds to regain lock is excessive. I believe you should be able to find one that recovers in 1 or at most 2 seconds.

Bob

• dlindbergh
  • dlindbergh's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4753 by dlindbergh
Replied by dlindbergh on topic Re:11/6 GPS navigation probably worked!!

You launch your rocket with the wind blowing from west to east. The rocket goes straight up but on the way down it gets carried to the east by the wind. How do you get back to the pad?

The parachute, just like a glider, has some forward airspeed. (About 12 MPH the way it\'s setup now.)

As long as the wind speed is less than that, the rocket can make progress even upwind. It knows how to compensate steering for the wind (in theory, anyway).

Suppose the wind is 8 MPH, and the pad is straight upwind from the rocket. The rocket faces into the wind and flies at 12 MPH airspeed, so it makes 12-8 = 4 MPH toward the pad.

If the wind is faster than the airspeed, then it doesn\'t work (and as a matter of fact, the software will get confused and won\'t even figure out how to steer upwind - but I have ideas on how to fix that...)