× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Copperhead substitutes

• HPRnut
  • HPRnut's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4726 by HPRnut
Copperhead substitutes was created by HPRnut
I will heading up to the lauch on Saturday. I will be flying my Aerotech Arreaux and my LOC Aura on F23-7FJs. My issue is that the Copperheads that came with the motors will not fit. Does anyone have any igniters that will fit into Aerotech Econojet motors that I can use?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4729 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re:Copperhead substitutes
EDIT: Try what Guy suggests below first.

1) Sometimes the propellant is not well aligned and seems to block clean insertion of the Copperhead.

When that happens I use a piece of wire (like from a coat hangar) to gently clear a straight path through the nozzle into the core of the propellant.

CLARIFICATION: This is only to gently clear away a tiny corner of the propellant that may have been sloppily cut NOT to puncture the body of the propellant in any way.

2) Another possibility is that the nozzle is blocked with flash (thin plastic left over from the molding process).

What I do to fix this is use Exacto blade point to carefully cut away flash. Don\'t cut into nozzle.

Copperheads are about the thinnest igniters available, their size is not normally the cause of the problem.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4730 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re:Copperhead substitutes
Single use Aerotech motors usually have slot making the grain look \"C\" shaped. Especially on smaller size motors, you may need to slowly rotate the motor around aiming the copperhead through the nozzle and slightly towards the casing edge until you hit the sweet spot where the slot is and it slides right in. It helps to make sure the widest edge of the igniter is perpendicular to the casing edge your are aiming for.

Guy.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4731 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re:Copperhead substitutes
Peter,

Guy\'s got the right idea. Unless there is a huge, errant glob of the pyro on the end of the Copperhead, it should fit through the nozzle on a single-use motor. That is assuming it is the ignitor that came packaged with the motor, as you\'ve stated.

AT makes at least one reload-type with a nozzle so small, you have to put the ignitor in while assembling and put the nozzle on over just the copper end of it. Not an option on a single-use.

Check for flash in the nozzle and then manipulate the parts like Guy suggests.

Kenn

More
13 years 5 months ago #4732 by BobH
Replied by BobH on topic Re:Copperhead substitutes
KennB wrote:

Peter,

AT makes at least one reload-type with a nozzle so small, you have to put the ignitor in while assembling and put the nozzle on over just the copper end of it.

I have some home made igniters that will fit through the nozzle of the D13\'s that Kenn mentions. They are a little on the short side but are probably long enough for Econojets.

• HPRnut
  • HPRnut's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4733 by HPRnut
Replied by HPRnut on topic Re:Copperhead substitutes
I would like to give 2 of them a try. I tried Boris\' suggestions, and I nocited that the slot is totally out of view from the nozzle. I can \"feel\" it with a piece of wire, but that is it.