× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Looking for building tips

• dostergaard
  • dostergaard's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4723 by dostergaard
Replied by dostergaard on topic Re:Looking for building tips
billspad wrote:

. . . dual deployment is a good idea if you can work it in. The winds don\'t always blow the way we want them to.

I noticed that on the couple of launches I attended in September & November. I also read in various threads here about adventures across the river and through the swamp.

I need to think about how to do that on a really tight budget. Maybe I should aim for a cert flight mid-winter when everything is frozen so I won\'t have to get wet! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4725 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re:Looking for building tips
On a small H this rocket will likely hit 1500-2000ft altitude. That is very risky for a single deploy flight at Amesbury. It is unlikely that you will get your rocket back.

I know the prospect of getting the L1 cert is exciting, but a prudent way to go would be to fly it on F and G motors until you build experience with dual deploy.

Alternatively, if Santa gets you a light weight 5.5\" diameter (short & fat) rocket, single deploy flight at Amesbury become manageable. Recovery from under 1000ft on a small H is likely to succeed.

• dostergaard
More
13 years 5 months ago #4727 by dostergaard
Boris Katan wrote:

On a small H this rocket will likely hit 1500-2000ft altitude. That is very risky for a single deploy flight at Amesbury. . .

I was worried about that.

The primary goal is to develop the skills and materials experience needed for building larger, more powerful rockets.

With a rocket that is L1 capable, it is hard not to want to try for that cert though.

I haven\'t ruled out dual deploy. I\'ll need avionics experience for a future project I have in mind.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4728 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re:Looking for building tips
Mark Canepa\'s Modern High Powered Rocketry 2 book is an excellent resource.

I like and use the PerfectFlite HA45K altimeter. Simple and effective and about $80.

One can be used in multiple rockets. That and a Duracell 9V battery plus some knowledge and you are good to go dual deploy.

I made a point of learning dual deploy before going for L2. Did my L1 with a 4\" diameter rocket on a much bigger field than Amesbury and still spent two hours getting my rocket back.

• dostergaard
More
13 years 5 months ago #4741 by dostergaard
Thanks Boris. MHPR2 is on my wish list, along with a few other essential components.

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4743 by bobkrech
Replied by bobkrech on topic Re:Looking for building tips

dostergaard wrote:
With a rocket that is L1 capable, it is hard not to want to try for that cert though.

Part of the dicipline of certification is knowing when not to launch.

Bob