× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Looking for building tips

• dostergaard
  • dostergaard's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4716 by dostergaard
Looking for building tips was created by dostergaard
I am preparing to build a LOC Precision Vulcanite H76. My wife gave it to me last month for my birthday. I hope to be able to use this for a level 1 cert next spring.

This will be my first kit that requires epoxy and I intend to build it mostly stock with a couple of exceptions.

I was going to install 1\" rail buttons instead of the launch lug that comes with the kit. I\'m not sure I have a good reason for this except that rails seem to be more prevalent for mid & high power and seem to be a sturdier launch guide than a rod.

I also intend to install an Aeropack motor retainer because I think it will make it easier to use motor mount adapters to fly on 29mm motors. The kit doesn\'t include any motor retention hardware.

I\'d love to hear form others who have built LOC kits. Does this makes sense? Is there anything else I should consider when I build this kit?

++Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4717 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re:Looking for building tips
Dean,

Congratulations on your LOC kit and having a wife who encourages your hobby. ;)

While I can\'t speak to building a mid- or high-powered rocket, I can offer these tips:

- CMASS semi-monthly meetings are a great place to get information and advice. I know this isn\'t as practical for you as it is for some other members who live closer but, after you get going, it might be worth the trip down if you have a particular area you need help with.

- Posting on The Rocketry Forum and some of the other boards (shown under our Links > Rocketry tab at the left of the CMASS page) would open your questions up to a much larger pool of experience and opinions. There are many threads about each of the steps of a build like this.

As to the buttons for a 1\" rail; I don\'t see how you could go wrong using buttons. While all the CMASS high-power pads have a 1\" rail they also have 1/4\", 3/8\" and 1/2\" diameter rods. The rail would be the stiffest of that group. If you could stand it aesthetically and aerodynamically, using both the buttons and a 1/2\" launch lug gives you more options at different sites.

That\'s what I know. There are plenty of others who can address the motor retainer and build questions. I look forward to seeing the result of your efforts next year.

Kenn

More
13 years 5 months ago #4718 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Looking for building tips
You can\'t go wrong with rail buttons. Really anything that uses motors bigger than a G should have them.

I used to think the Aeropak retainers were overkill until I tried one. They\'re great.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4719 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re:Looking for building tips
I have to agree with Bill. I just started using retainers on my builds and they are great. I plan on using them more often, especially on my larger rockets.

Guy.

• dostergaard
  • dostergaard's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4720 by dostergaard
Replied by dostergaard on topic Re:Looking for building tips
KennB wrote:

Congratulations on your LOC kit and having a wife who encourages your hobby.

Yeah, I am pretty lucky. She confided that it was between this and a pair of shoes! :huh:

KennB wrote:

- CMASS semi-monthly meetings are a great place to get information and advice. . . . after you get going, it might be worth the trip down if you have a particular area you need help with.

I\'d like to find a way to participate more than just showing up for launches and posting on the forums, but you are right, the logistics are a bit problematic.

KennB wrote:

- Posting on The Rocketry Forum and some of the other boards . . . would open your questions up to a much larger pool of experience and opinions. There are many threads about each of the steps of a build like this.

I\'ll do that. I thought maybe folks here might point out any local considerations like launch equipment compatibility (which you did, thanks) or other flight & recovery considerations.

KennB wrote:

If you could stand it aesthetically and aerodynamically, using both the buttons and a 1/2\" launch lug gives you more options at different sites.

I had not considered that. I am certainly not building a contender for any altitude record attempts. This would give it real versatility when launching on lower power motors. I\'ll think about it.

billspad wrote:

I used to think the Aeropak retainers were overkill until I tried one. They\'re great.

I thought they were a bit pricey too but they seem to make it pretty hard to screw things up (pardon the pun) and they give the business end of the rocket a nice professional look.

Thanks,
Dean

More
13 years 5 months ago #4721 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Looking for building tips
dostergaard wrote:

I thought maybe folks here might point out any local considerations like launch equipment compatibility (which you did, thanks) or other flight & recovery considerations.

Now that you mention it, dual deployment is a good idea if you can work it in. The winds don\'t always blow the way we want them to.