× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

May 17 Joint Launch With MMMSC

• billspad
  • billspad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
9 years 11 months ago #7320 by billspad
May 17 Joint Launch With MMMSC was created by billspad
We have a launch scheduled for Saturday with MMMSC in Berwick, Maine. Flying will start at 10:00. If you have a CMASS Season Pass, CMASS will cover the launch fee.

Right now the forecast for Saturday looks less than idea. However, no decision will be made about postponing the launch until Friday at the earliest. The launch status will be available on the CMASS website and on 781 231 1018 after 7:30 on Saturday at the latest. Changes made before then will show up on the CMASS and MMMSC websites. Check there first.

There is construction going on in the area and the route your GPS gives you may not be the best. Directions that will get you around this are at the bottom of this message.

The CMASS website is now mostly functional. Howard has spent a lot of time moving it to a new host which should result in fewer disruptions. As far as I know, the only thing that isn't working is the PayPal payment thing.

After the last launch I found a pair of sunglasses and nail clippers in the front seat of my truck. Contact me so I can get them back to you.

Here are Guy's alternate directions:
If you normally head up the Spaulding Turnpike (may involve tolls)

Continue on up the Spaulding Turnpike (Rt16) to exit 16, the Rt11/Rt202 exit. Keep bearing right towards Sanford ME and Rt202 east.
Follow Rt202 east to the NH/ME border. There will be a Cumberland Farms on your right at the four way stop, just before the border.
Continue on through the four way stop on Rt202 East until you see a Mobil Station on your right. You will have traveled about 3.5 miles
from the Spaulding Turnpike. There is a traffic light at the corner that the Mobil Station is on. Turn right at the traffic light on to
Hubbard Rd. The Tuckahoe Turf Farm will be on your left (2.9 miles).

If you want to travel on Rt125 from Mass:

Head north on Rt 125 through Epping, Lee, Barrington and Gonic until you reach Rt16, the Spaulding Turnpike. Stay to the far right,
going under Rt16 and then on to Rt16 north.

Continue on up the Spaulding Turnpike (Rt16) to exit 16, the Rt11/Rt202 exit. Keep bearing right towards Sanford ME and Rt202 east.
Follow Rt202 east to the NH/ME border. There will be a Cumberland Farms on your right at the four way stop, just before the border.
Continue on through the four way stop on Rt202 East until you see a Mobil Station on your right. You will have traveled about 3.5 miles
from the Spaulding Turnpike. There is a traffic light at the corner that the Mobil Station is on. Turn right at the traffic light on to
Hubbard Rd. The Tuckahoe Turf Farm will be on your left (2.9 miles).

Bob says this set of directions will avoid tolls.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #7321 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: May 17 Joint Launch With MMMSC
I asked Scott to check out Bob's alternate route and it does run through a small part of the construction in Berwick. Getting to the field isn't too bad but coming back from there is a tough trek. The detour signage isn't set up too well and if you are unfamiliar with the area, it can be more trouble than the saved toll expenses are worth.

Just my humble opinion. I'll most likely be following Guy's route.

• billspad
  • billspad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
9 years 11 months ago #7325 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: May 17 Joint Launch With MMMSC
The launch has been moved to Sunday May 18. Remember to bring you Season Pass to avoid paying the launch fee. If you have paid for your Season Pass but have not picked it up yet, Scott will have a list with you on it.

More
9 years 11 months ago #7331 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: May 17 Joint Launch With MMMSC
I determined that the most likely cause of my cutter deploying early is that the hole in the forward bulkhead (through which the wire passes from the altimeter back to the hot wire cutter) is too big. The motor ejection is causing the altimeter bay (everything forward of the bulkhead, including the hollowed out nose) to overpressurize, fooling the altimeter into thinking that it has reached a lower altitude and firing the main. I say this because the data collected by the altimeter is showing an 'altitude drop' down to about 100 feet, right at the time that the motor ejection happens. I'm going to caulk the hole, and with some luck this contraption will flight right this Saturday.