× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Current Projects

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #9173 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Current Projects

My 1997 purchased Aerotech Astrobee D has had it's LAST components glued on. It's painted and ready for decal application. I'll hopefully give it a dullcote once-over later in the week when warmer. I'm hoping to have it debut in two week in Berwick.

Here it is... "all done"... Well I may reneg doin the dullcote layer. I kind of like the way it looks as-is... Even though it would hide the decals a bit better.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by DeltaVee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9174 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Current Projects
That is one fine looking rocket. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person and seeing it fly. During the bye week I spent time repairing a rocket, setting up a 29 to 24 mm adapter and engine retention for another rocket and getting my Torrent ready to launch. I ordered an Astron Sprint XL for my friend Sal who is almost done with his Hornet. Today I ordered a few black powder motors and a Red Nova kit for myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeltaVee

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #9176 by DeltaVee
Well the windy forecast for next Saturday isn't looking too good at the moment. Of course 5 days out, you just never know for sure. I guess at this point considering Kenn's announcement regarding the Acton field for next year (specifically July 20) perhaps that Centuri Saturn V that's been sitting "mostly" built since the 1970's should be my next project for the upcoming weekend!

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9177 by deangelo54
You Centuri Saturn V must be a collectors item. What does it use for an engine?

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #9178 by DeltaVee
Well it would be if I hadn't started building it all those years ago... I had left it at the "time to paint it" stage around 1977 when I went to college. It has just the three engine cluster (friction fit!!!!). I built a 24mm motor mount to glue into place... I figure composite E's will do the trick as well as using an E12-4 for it.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9181 by deangelo54
I may have mentioned at one time that I am a streak builder when it comes to building and repairing rockets. Some nights I don't even feel like picking up a bottle of glue where as last night I got in the groove. Being a rocket fixer is a major part of a rocketeer's job. I spent three hours leisurely repairing three rockets, two of which are ten years old or more. I looked into my flight log to see who needed fixing and got to it.

First up was to repair a shroud line on an Estes Patriot. I sure could have used a large sewing needle for this.

Second was a third and final coat of paint on the upper BT60 of a scratch build. The NC also needed a bit of repair so I used some CA and Fix-It Epoxy from Apogee.

The Flis Kit Triskellion's eye bolt needed to be epoxied to the NC. I used some BSI 30 minute that I purchased from Animal Works earlier in the season. The bottom part of one of those end fins with the toothpicks was broken off. With some fiddling around I was able to cut off a small piece of balsa and CA it on.

Some may say, "Frank, get a life." To that I say, I have a life and a hobby called rocketry.