× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Winter Follies - 2018

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #8823 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Winter Follies - 2018
Saturday is definitely a washout and the long-range forecast isn't looking good for the following weekend so we'll have our Winter Follies Launch on Sunday, the 14th of January, this year.

Between the snow, freezing temperatures, the rain and the thaw, the field will likely be a messy place. Wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions and boots you don't mind getting wet and dirty. It would be a good idea to bring a change of footwear, too.

Set up will begin when Guy gets the trailer to the field, around 10, and we'll fly until 3 at the latest; if conditions or lack of flyers merits, we'll shutdown early and have a late lunch at one of the fine restaurants in the area.

You can check the conditions using the Windy link at the bottom of the page. The link is set for Amesbury but you can enter Acton at the top of the page and get the conditions for the field.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KennB
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #8825 by KennB
This message just went out as an email:

KEEP AN EYE ON THE WEBSITE. Jim Salem has checked out the conditions at the School Street field and he reports good news and bad news.
First, the good news; the parking area has been plowed to about a car width so parallel parking will get vehicles off the road surface.
Now, the bad news; while the weather forecast showing warm air and rain into the afternoon on Saturday may beat down most of the snow on the field, the field likely won’t drain very well and the front moving through will bring freezing conditions. This will mean the field will more resemble a skating rink rather than a place rocketeers could safely fly and recover rockets.
Jim will check it out later on Saturday and let me know what it looks like. I’ll post something on the website for GO/NO GO for Sunday. If you can’t get to the web, check the hotline, 857-242-6277, and it will read the top line of the home page to you.
The long-range forecast for the 20th looks better than it did a week ago. One way or another we’ll get our Winter Follies this year.

• KennB
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #8827 by KennB
We are GO for the Winter Follies on Sunday, the 14th of January.

Jim Salem has checked the field and has found it to be in great shape. The snow is gone, the rain didn't flood it and we'll even have the full parking area so we can do the usual perpendicular parking. It's going to be cold so dress warmly and don't pack your plastic parachutes until just before loading up your rocket on the pad.

Fliskits will be on the field and I'm checking with Jason for AMWProX.

See you in Acton.

We'll be finalizing our 2018 schedule at Tuesday's meeting in Revere.

More
6 years 3 months ago #8831 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter Follies - 2018
No snow but it was cold. I put up seven launches. Thanks to Kenn and Guy and others that helped setup.

• KennB
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #8832 by KennB
If your camera didn't freeze, please post pictures in the gallery to prove to the sane people we were there.

More
6 years 3 months ago #8833 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Winter Follies - 2018
I've always thought insanity was just a state of mind...

I got in 4 flights - 3 of my Radio Shack spool on C6-0's and an Applewhite saucer on a B6-0. We also provided the opportunity for a TARC team to do a couple of test flights, so there is a public service/helping science aspect to our insanity.