We have a couple of new places to hold meetings

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #8747 by KennB
As many of you know, we no longer have use of the Raytheon/BBN facility in Cambridge for our meetings in odd-numbered months. The club is on the hunt, again, for another venue or two that could fill our needs and desires.

Our needs:
  • availability on the first and third Tuesdays of the odd-numbered months
  • a room with tables and chairs to comfortably fit up to twelve people (more would be good but generally meetings aren't a huge draw)
  • adequate free parking with good access to the meeting space

Our desires:
  • the ability to do work on building our rockets - anything from cutting and gluing parts to sanding balsa and primer. If the ability to apply paint and sanding sealer is possible, that would be a dream.
  • being allowed to eat at the meeting. No CMASS gathering is complete without food and many people come to the meetings directly from work and would like to be able to bring something to eat.
  • this one is a little selfish but also has tradition on its side - a location North of Boston. The even-numbered month meetings are held in Marlborough which is convenient for some but not others. North of Boston makes it easier for others to get to a meeting (sorry South of Boston folks)

We held one meeting in September at a Panera Bread in Wilmington. It fulfilled the stated needs and eating was not a problem (no outside food, though). We could likely continue with that type of place but the ability to build and have hands-on discussions and demonstrations about building were always a big part of the meetings when they were held at Bill's basement. We'll never recapture the charm of those meetings but it would be nice to get as close as possible.

I'd like to thank Ed Pattison-Gordon for getting us the BBN facility for the time we could use it.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by KennB. Reason: Change of thread title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #8758 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic We need a new place to hold meetings
I wanted to bump this back to the top as there have been no responses as yet.

More
6 years 5 months ago #8760 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic We need a new place to hold meetings
I am in the process of placing a request to meet at the Knights of Columbus in Revere of which I am a member. I am also willing to have meetings at my house. I have a finished basement. Although the space is not that big, we can do everything inside except paint. I will be attending a Knights of Columbus meeting on Thursday, October 19th. I'll be at the October 21st launch to answer questions.

More
6 years 5 months ago #8761 by deangelo54
I sent out an email request to the Revere Knights and it does not look good. The heads of the building association is concerned about liability issues. It is sooo sad that we live in a society that is so sue happy that we are handcuffed and choked.

Until we find something more suitable the club is welcome to meet at my house. I have a small workshop, a couch and lots of folding chairs. During good weather we can toss some food on the grill. Years ago we had several large house parties and it worked out well.

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #8762 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic We need a new place to hold meetings
Thanks, Frank. Alex has also stepped up and offered a meeting space where he lives.We can talk about this at the launch this weekend. Maybe try each place out during November and see what people think.

More
6 years 5 months ago #8764 by deangelo54
Perhaps some kind of rotating schedule is the answer. It's good to have alternate locations in case someone is on vacation or has to work late or is on business travel. This can be a good incentive to get rid of some of the clutter in my basement. Except of course the rocket stuff.