Question about L1 G motors and certification

• DeltaVee
  • DeltaVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 8 months ago #8692 by DeltaVee
I happen to have RMS plus hardware (just the 60 and 100 casing) I got as a gift a while back. I'm hoping (as I have this specific hardware) to fly my currently under construction HV-Arcas using the F/G reloads available for this specific hardware. I noted (as I'm not certified) that I can a G54W w/o certification but there is an available G104 reload (both motors show on the NAR web site as tested between 81-85 nt-sec) that does require certification to obtain.

I did not see anything in NAR's cerfication requirements doc (www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-1-hpr-certification/) that implies I need to use an H or some such, soooooo, the question is:

Does that imply that the G104 can be used to certify as L1?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeltaVee
  • DeltaVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 8 months ago #8693 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Question about L1 G motors and certification
Of course the moment I posted I saw this in the above linked document:

"4. The modeler must demonstrate his ability to build and fly a rocket containing at least one H or I impulse class motor."

I guess that answers the question...

More
6 years 8 months ago #8694 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Question about L1 G motors and certification
Before I became L1 certified I regularly flew a 3.5 pound rocket on a G80. I later learned that because of the weight of the rocket and size of the motor, I need to be L1 certified to fly it. I purchased a CTI 168H87 and flew the rocket with that for my L1 certification. I'm sure others in the club can provide more detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeltaVee