× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

A PSA regarding CMASS launch rods

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 7 months ago #11351 by tlainhart
A PSA regarding CMASS launch rods was created by tlainhart
As a flyer and an RSO I've noticed on occasion at our launches that some launch rods are installed incorrectly into their holders.

The launch rods that we use for club launches are (faintly) painted red to note which end is to be installed into the Corian holder (the Spad-Pad). The presence of the paint is sometimes enough to cause a rocket to hang on the rocket as it exits, which can result in unintended consequences as it did yesterday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #11357 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic A PSA regarding CMASS launch rods

As a flyer and an RSO I've noticed on occasion at our launches that some launch rods are installed incorrectly into their holders.

The launch rods that we use for club launches are (faintly) painted red to note which end is to be installed into the Corian holder (the Spad-Pad). The presence of the paint is sometimes enough to cause a rocket to hang on the rocket as it exits, which can result in unintended consequences as it did yesterday.

Thanks for this post, Todd.  DEFINITELY something to keep in mind for the future! 

More
1 year 7 months ago #11359 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic A PSA regarding CMASS launch rods
Thanks, Todd, for pointing this out. It's been a while since we've held a maintenance day so the paint has been worn away but still visible. The real problem is the end that gets painted has usually been bent by the screw holding it in the Spad Pad. This can cause a rocket to hang up when launched.

Also, when installed red end up, the good end gets a bend in it and the rod can become useless.

• tlainhart
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 7 months ago #11360 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic A PSA regarding CMASS launch rods
Thanks Kenn. When I wrote this, I couldn't recall why one end was painted red. Thought it might be because of the accumulated exhaust debris as opposed to an artistic statement.

More
1 year 7 months ago #11364 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic A PSA regarding CMASS launch rods
Yesterday I installed the rods on all the pads up to #8. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the error on #10 until after the launch. The paint is hard to see.
I'm thinking we should have some documentation on how to set up the launch area that can be posted here and linked to from the FB page. Some text, some diagrams. There seems to be enough willing help, (like me) but not all of us know all the intricate details yet. (like me).
I've worked in a manufacturing environment pretty much all my life and so I know from experience that relying on "tribal knowledge" is a good way to shoot yourself in the ass. I'm willing to volunteer to contribute to getting some procedures down "on paper" so there'll be a place people can go to get an idea of what to do and when and how to do it. And if we already have such a document, please let me know. Either way, we need to get the word out to more people so we don't have any replays of yesterday's incident.
Fortunately, this one was dealt with quickly.
It would also be a good thing to try to educate more people on how to use the launch pads. Especially for newcomers. And all hail newcomers and cub scouts and all the rest. They need all the encouragement and help we can give them so we can keep the hobby and sport alive.
There's my 2¢ for now. Please feel free to comment on my ideas, or mess me privately here on on FB.
I'm here to help.
Rick

• tlainhart
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 7 months ago #11368 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic A PSA regarding CMASS launch rods
In terms of documentation, perhaps a setup/teardown list, including how to stake the pads and flags. It will be some work.

In terms of teaching folks to use the pads, it might be nice to have a senior member on hand to monitor the pads and assist (the RSO/LCO are too busy for that) where/when needed. Perhaps another scheduled slot. Given the difficulty of getting folks to signup for RSO/LCO, I'm not optimistic. So perhaps an experienced senior member to do a quick safety check of the setup prior to opening the range.