× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

I got my rocket back after a year in a tree!

• hgreenblatt
  • hgreenblatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 10 months ago #10538 by hgreenblatt
Last year during the summer at an Acton launch I lost a Giant Leap T-Bolt about 65 ft up in a tree between the field and the river.  It had a CTI casing and a Jolly Logic chute release so it was definitely worth trying to recover.  I must have gone back a half dozen times to the field with the specific intent to try and recover it. I tried with the slingshot, a new super long recovery pole and even a drone.  No joy.  
Yesterday at the launch I went back there to check on it and it wasn’t up there.  I looked all around suddenly spotted it in a bush near the base of the tree.l didn’t even have to bend over to pick it up!  Almost no damage to any part of the rocket.  The body was that rubberized Giant Leap magnaframe. It was slightly bent but that was easily fixed.  This morning after letting the Jolly Logic completely dry out I plugged it in and amazingly it started charging!  Fully charged and ready to go after a couple of hours.  Crazy good luck. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: truckmen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hgreenblatt
  • hgreenblatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 10 months ago #10539 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic I got my rocket back after a year in a tree!

Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #10540 by KennB
When you have too many rockets at home, sometimes you have to store some in the trees for a while.

Let John Beans know his product stands up over time.

More
2 years 10 months ago #10541 by RD-ROX
That really is an amazing happenstance!
Happy for ya!!

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #10542 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic I got my rocket back after a year in a tree!
Gives me hope for my JLCR that's been stuck in a tree in Acton for close to 2 years now. The Lehmann boys tried their hand at retrieving it with the CMASS pole, but it's just about 4" too short, even holding the pole at chest level (which your shoulders and neck will tell you about the next day).

I gave it another try along with them, making it my 5th or 6th attempt at retrieval. The NC, shock cord and parachute seem to twist around more branches as each month passes...
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by KennB.

More
2 years 10 months ago #10543 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic I got my rocket back after a year in a tree!
Some people get it back with LoJack. You got it back with perseverance.
"A Year in a Tree" sounds like the title of on interesting documentary for PBS. I would watch it.