× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Estes Doorknob Kit

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #10178 by deangelo54
Estes Doorknob Kit was created by deangelo54
Not crazy abut the name but I like the kit.

The Estes Doorknob is a new kit introduced by Estes for 2020. It caught my attention the first time I saw it in the Estes catalog. It's one of those kits that I say to myself, "Hey, nice kit, I would like to get it someday." I have done that in the past and the next thing you know, the kit is out of production. At the September 19th launch I noticed that Tony Vincent had one. It looked as good in person as it did in the catalog.

The kit comes in a very attractive box with nice graphics. One side shows an orange paint scheme and the other side displays a blue scheme. Tony used the orange design. If you want to use the blue, the directions provides a URL to the Estes web site where you can get free fin decals.

The skill level is listed as Advanced on the box. Estes no longer uses the skill level numbers. Their kits are rated as Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert and Master.

The kit comes with 1/8 balsa fins and centering rings. A nylon 24" chute and the famous Estes 29mm plastic motor retainer. The body tube and nose cone are 3". The Estes catalog lists the kit in the Pro Series II section. The package recommends E16 and F15 black power engines. We all know about my CATOS with Estes large black powder engines. Since the kit is from Estes, at least if their engines blow it up, you can count on them to replace the motors and the kit.

Estes does not list the weight of rockets in their catalog but the AC Supply web site lists the Doorknob as weighing in at 11 ounces. At that weight you could probably fly it on a D12-3. I have a kit that weighs 11 ounces and flies A-OK on a D12-3.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10179 by tonypv
Replied by tonypv on topic Estes Doorknob Kit
If you want to fly it on the Estes E16 or F15 build it light.
The most difficult part of this build is the painting.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #10180 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Estes Doorknob Kit
I totally agree that painting is the most difficult part of the build, especially if you select the orange scheme as you did. BTW, seeing yours inspired me to buy the kit.
What engines do you fly it on? I have a Super Big Bertha that weighs 11 ounces and a scratch build that weighs 10 ounces. I fly both on a D12-3. If my Doorknob kit can weigh in at that weight class, I'll start out with a D12-3.
Estes is retooling their manufacturing for large black power engines. They should be coming out soon. I'm looking forward to that.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by deangelo54.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10183 by tonypv
Replied by tonypv on topic Estes Doorknob Kit
My came in at just over 13 oz without motor. Too heavy for Estes motors, too slow off the rod.
I did paper the fins and used some epoxy for fillets. It's only flight so far was on a CTI F36BS to 927ft. It could flight on an E20 or E30.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 5 months ago #10184 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Estes Doorknob Kit
I have some kits that come in at around 13 ounces. I feel comfortable using an E20 as you suggested.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10254 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic Estes Doorknob Kit
Imagine it on a G33 or G54, what about a H54 or H42? The H's may require nose weight though...