× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Papering Fins

• evvo
  • evvo's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #10029 by evvo
Papering Fins was created by evvo
In the past I've used self-adhesive label paper for skinning fins but the adhesive seems pretty weak.
The edges lift up or the paper bubbles when painting.
I've tried using wood glue to coat the fin but it tends to warp if you're not careful.
I'm eyeing my can of Super 77 and also saw that Gorilla has a spray adhesive.
What's worked will for you folks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #10030 by jbuscaglia
Replied by jbuscaglia on topic Papering Fins
I've been using what Staples calls "sticker paper" rather than their (or Avery's) "label paper". I'm not sure what the difference is, if any. I bought it by mistake one day and it seemed to work better for me. Maybe it's all in my head. That said, I still sometimes get bubbles or edges lifting, especilly on larger fins. I've tried using a covering iron to try to get better adhesion, but my results are inconclusive.

When I get edges lifting, I usually just tack them down with CA. I haven't really figured out what to do with bubbles. Someone on TRF suggested piercing the bubble with a pin to get rid of the air and tacking down the paper, but I haven't tried that.

I haven't tried spray adhesive. I can't see why it wouldn't work. Estes recommended it for attaching the embossed cardstock wraps on the older Saturn V kits. I may have to try it. I should still have some from when I build the Saturn, assuming it's still good after all these years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.