× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

The Bandits Strike Again

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #10021 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic The Bandits Strike Again
Another Bandit launch. We arrived at 3:30 only to prep rockets and watch cricket for awhile. More than we wanted to or planned on, but they finally cleared the field at 4:55, and we set up two launch positions, one LCOed by Frank and the other LCOed by Howard.

I got one launch of a deuce's wild with a 3d printed fin can on 2xB6's, and two drag races of deuces with 2xA8's. My finish and paint job don't hold a candle to Tony's, but I tried to make up for it with the addition of vinyl stickers. Howard got two spectacular launches of his new Sumo in and two launches of other birds that I forget the names of.

I got a text asking why the grill wasn't going, so I scurried off, but the bandits carried on after left.

Photos in the gallery, Page 19
www.cmass.org/index.php?view=category&ca...=70&page=19#category
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by curtisheisey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #10022 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The Bandits Strike Again
The Saturday evening Bandit launch was a big success. The first launch of the evening was my Super Big Bertha on a D12-3. John Petrakis launched his Pro Series II Ventris. It was a perfect launch that went straight up and landed well within the boundaries of the field.

Our special guest was long time CMASS member, Ron Q. Ron didn't launch anything but we enjoyed his company and were happy to see him.

l launched yet another in my series of scratch built rockets. It is built from parts that club members have given to me over the years. The centering rings were made by Curtis almost two years ago.

The rocket is 44" long, 3" in diameter, weighs 18 ounces and has a 29 mm motor tube. Since I planned on using an E16-6 engine, I named the rocket CATO-1. To my surprise, not only didn't it CATO, but the engine and rocket performed perfectly.

The last flight of the evening was at 7:00 PM. A good time was had by all.
I'll see about getting some of Linda's photos up in the gallery.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by deangelo54.

More
3 years 8 months ago #10023 by deangelo54
I should also mention that there was a dad and his young son that came to the field sometime after the Bandits arrived. They launched what I think was an Estes Alpha. Howard being Howard, was kind enough to take them under his wing and tell them about his rockets and share some of his knowledge about model rocketry. Howard is an excellent example of paying it forward.

Howard has mentored several college rocketry teams throughout the years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hgreenblatt, jcsalem

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #10064 by deangelo54
Live from Acton, It's Saturday Night!
Linda and I arrived at the field at 4:32 PM.The cricked game on the NE corner of the field was over by the time I unloaded my car. The game on the SW side of the field ended at 5:30. The first launch of the night was shortly after the field was clear. Because of the wind, I setup deep into the NE side of the field.

Given the engine and rocket combinations I used, I didn't have any problems with the wind. The wind did slow down for a while, but eventually it picked up again.

There was a family launching at the NE corner of the field that came by to help me launch my Super Big Bertha. The kids got a kick out of it and I enjoyed having them come by.

I got in six launches by 7:00 PM when Linda and I called it quits. Year to date I'm up to 147 launches. Will I make it to 200? I'll have to do the math.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by deangelo54.

More
3 years 6 months ago #10196 by hermanjc
Replied by hermanjc on topic The Bandits Strike Again
Heard on the meeting last night that there might be a Bandits gathering on Columbus day. Would this be in Acton? Depending on the time/weather I know we would certainly be interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deangelo54

More
3 years 6 months ago #10197 by deangelo54
I sent you an email through the CMASS web site.
Let me know if you did not receive it. You have to have your email address as part of your member profile in order to receive emails through the website.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hermanjc