× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

The Bandits Strike Again

• ClaudeMaina
  • ClaudeMaina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 day ago #9897 by ClaudeMaina
The Bandits Strike Again was created by ClaudeMaina
Recruiting a new member to the gang from out west (Massachusetts), the bandit rocketeers, now calling themselves the 'Hole in the Head' gang, launched again at Woodsom Farm. No rockets were lost or damaged that afternoon and the local citizens were spared additional rocket mayhem as the launch was cut short by strong winds and a faulty launch controller. However, the gang vows to return. Pictures are appended in the Bandit Launch Gallery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BDB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #9903 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The Bandits Strike Again
Linda and I ended up going to Acton at around 3:00 PM on Sunday. I launched two A8-3's, one 1/2 A3-4T and two B6-4's.
The skies were blue with the temperature in the low 60's. It was very windy, about 15 MPH. Fortunately the wind was blowing towards Route 2 just like it was at the Winter Follies. I had to hoof it a couple of times for recovery.

Linda was the LCO and I was the RSO. We had one low power pad with a 1/8" rod. Since I was the only person launching, the line at check in was fast. No vendors, spectators or food service were on site. After the launch we visited the chickens and ducks that live outside of the house located next to the field. Is was nice to be outside on a warm and sunny day.

No date is set for our next launch.

More
3 years 11 months ago #9904 by dlazarus6660
Replied by dlazarus6660 on topic The Bandits Strike Again
I know who all your Bandits are and I hope I get invited to you next launch!

Daniel

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #9911 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The Bandits Strike Again
Today would normally be the CMASS first launch of the 2020 season with our Amesbury launch. The cancellation did not deter the Rocket Bandits of Metro West. It was a beautiful day to launch rockets in Acton. So good that in addition to the Rocket Bandits there were also two families on site launching rockets.

Temperatures were in the 50's with clear skies and winds at 3 to 6 mph blowing toward the trees.

The engines used ranged from a 1/2A3 for an Estes X-Ray to a composite D10 for John Petrakis' Super Big Bertha and a D12 for my Super Big Bertha. Both flights were only to about 200 feet but were spectacular.

No rockets were lost and the only damage was a cracked fin on John's clone Goblin flown on a C11. Nothing a bit of CA can't fix.

The launch equipment consisted of two Estes Porta Pads. Pad one with a 1/8 rod and pad two with a 3/16 rod for the bigger rockets.

Without a doubt the flight of the day was John's Gemini Titan flown on a dual B6-4 cluster. It was the first flight using John's custom designed and built Plexiglas fins and fin can. The kit was purchased in 1970 and in true John Petrakis style was built two years later.

Today's launch was an oasis of normalcy during these unprecedented times.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by KennB. Reason: spelling

More
3 years 11 months ago #9912 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic The Bandits Strike Again

Today would normally be the CMASS first launch of the 2020 season with our Amesbury launch. The cancellation did not deter the Rocket Bandits of Metro West. It was a beautiful day to launch rockets in Acton. So good that in addition to the Rocket Bandits there were also two families on site launching rockets.

Temperatures were in the 50's with clear skies and winds at 3 to 6 mph blowing toward the trees.

The engines used ranged from a 1/2A3 for an Estes X-Ray to a composite D10 for John Petrakis' Super Big Bertha and a D12 for my Super Big Bertha. Both flights were only to about 200 feet but were spectacular.

No rockets were lost and the only damage was a cracked fin on John's clone Goblin flown on a C11. Nothing a bit of CA can't fix.

The launch equipment consisted of two Estes Porta Pads. Pad one with a 1/8 rod and pad two with a 3/16 rod for the bigger rockets.

Without a doubt the flight of the day was John's Gemini Titan flown on a dual B6-4 cluster. It was the first flight using John's custom designed and built Plexiglas fins and fin can. The kit was purchased in 1970 and in true John Petrakis style was built two years later.

Today's launch was an oasis of normalcy during these unprecedented times.

A grand day out, indeed! It could only have been better if we had some wensleydale to go with it!

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #9914 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic The Bandits Strike Again

A grand day out, indeed! It could only have been better if we had some wensleydale to go with it!

Yes? Oh, I thought you were talking to me, sir. Mr. Wensleydale, that's my name.

Yeah, I know you're probably alluding to Wallace and Gromit but I like the Monty Python sketch better vis a vis wensleydale.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by KennB.