× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary “Land the Eagle” Competition

More
4 years 10 months ago #9471 by KennB

The white powder, if you are talking about the legal white powder on athaletic fields, is ground/powdered lime. Available at any garden/hardware/box store.

It would also be a mess especially without the applicator the schools/pros use. We can set out rope or our flags lines or something neater we can take with us at the end of the day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #9473 by deangelo54
The rope or flags idea sounds good. I like flags better because they are more visible and people or kids are less likely to run into them.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by deangelo54.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #9477 by deangelo54
I took some time this afternoon to determine what we need for the contest. I setup a 25 foot diameter circle in my backyard that ended up being an octagon. For the actual contest we can consider a larger area. The list of materials are as follows:
A very long tape measure.
Metal stakes with the tops shaped like an inverted V that safely go into the ground.
I tested with white string but I can get orange which is more visible.
A plastic stake to hold up the flag pole.
A 1/4" dowel with a flag.
Duct tape to secure the flag pole to the plastic stake.
A spiral binder and pen to record results.

I can supply everything except the very long tape measure.

According to the NAR rules, contestants get one launch to land as close as they can to Tranquility Base. If we don't get many participants we can give flyers a second opportunity.
During the launch we can designate a certain time period for the contest. Perhaps 12:30 to 1:30 PM. At that time the contest officials can be on the field with tape measure and notebook in hand. Contestants should have their rockets prepped and ready to fly. Contestants should inform the RSO that their flight is a contest flight. The LCO should announce the flight as a contest flight so that on field officials are ready. Non participants can still fly during the contest.

Distance is measured from the flag pole to the tip of the nose cone. A successful flight consists of the rocket landing in tact with recovery consisting of a chute or streamer being deployed.

Perhaps the club or club members can donate kits as prizes. We need three kits. The winner gets to pick first, second and third place finishers pick next. Alternatively we can give out trophies which is more expensive.

I need at least one volunteer not named Linda DeAngelo to help with the contest.

Any comments or recommendations?
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by deangelo54.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #9488 by deangelo54
I purchased an American flag for the contest. Rope was kind of expensive so perhaps I can get some bright yellow string. Lowes did not have orange.

I have an Estes Patriot kit still in the package that I can donate as a prize. Perhaps we can discuss the contest at the next CMASS meeting.

Hoping to see a good amount of participants. We already have a fine collection of kits that have been donated as prizes. Remember, you can't win if you don't participate.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by deangelo54.

More
4 years 9 months ago #9503 by tlainhart
> I need at least one volunteer not named Linda DeAngelo to help with the contest.

Hi Frank - I've been away from the forum for a while. If you're still looking for volunteers, I'll step up. Let me know.

-- Todd

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #9504 by deangelo54
Thanks for volunteering. I’m going to get to the launch early to setup. Then from there we will take measurements and record and compare the results.