× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Current Projects

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9126 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Current Projects
Good information about primers. I will keep that in mind the next time I paint. I usually paint vertical so that explains why I have runs. When I painted my Torrent I did it vertically and didn't have runs. My painting rig is basically a broom stick mounted on a board. What setup do you use to paint horizontally?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #9127 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Current Projects
My setup is a black and decker workmate with a broomstick handle clamped in place. Holds horizontally about 3 - 3 1/2 feet above the ground. I have to stoop a bit but it seems to work better for me. Often what I'll do is rather than clamp the handle into the tabletop, I'll slide it in the space under the table top. It can be a bit wobbly but I can rotate the entire rocket by twisting the handle instead of touching the painted rocket. What this does is allow me to run a line of paint on a single pass, without reversing direction while the spray is on the rocket. The point of reversal is where I usually get runs.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9129 by deangelo54
Maybe reversing direction is why I get runs?

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9133 by deangelo54
All the projects flew at the October 6th CMASS launch in Amesbury. All three had successful flights and recoveries. What are the odds of that? I saw John P's project and it came out beautiful. So much so that Sal went over to find out what kind of paint was used. We're on to West Kingston.

More
5 years 5 months ago #9134 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Current Projects
I'd say it's a big contributor to the issue since when you reverse direction, you have to slow to a stop to do it. That will deposit more paint where you go more slowly.

More
5 years 5 months ago #9135 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Current Projects
The technique I have heard to counteract this is spray past the end of the object and do the reverse then when the paint is not spraying on the object.

Guy.