× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Current Projects

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #9089 by deangelo54
Current Projects was created by deangelo54
During the winter we had a topic concerning off season projects. I was wondering if anyone is currently working on or recently completed a kit?

This weekend I painted and put on the decals for an Estes Astron Sprint XL. The only difference from the package is that I painted the boat tail red instead of white.

I started working on an Estes Executioner to replace the one that landed in the trees at the August 25th Berwick launch. I'm waiting for some parts from Apogee Components. I'm going to replace the 1/8 balsa fins with 1/8 birchwood. A&P wood working in East Boston cut out the fins I used in the Leviathan.

Next time I order black powder engines online or visit the Hobby Emporium I will buy a Red Nova. That is a nice kit.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #9095 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Current Projects
All the parts are in from AC Supply and Apogee Components. The Fins should be ready by Wednesday. Estes must have included an engine tube with a larger OD. I had to sand it down in order for the 24mm Rocketarium engine retainer to fit. The included Estes plastic retainer fits fine but I won't be using it.

Other modifications include rail buttons, an Estes 24 inch nylon chute, plywood CRs and a shock cord other than the elastic one that comes with the kit. The shock cord will connect to a 5/32 eye bolt screwed into the forward CR.

Looking ahead, I welcome any suggestions for a paint scheme.

I would like to get this flying for the October 6th CMASS launch in Amesbury, painted or not.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by deangelo54.

More
5 years 6 months ago #9100 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Current Projects
Too many projects... mostly at the "time to paint this sucker bottleneck..." (I kind of hate painting but I used to not paint ANYTHING so now I insist on doing it!!!)

Listed (not necessarily in order of priority)
1) Estes Ventris (picked up from the spare time shop). Built, ready for primer

2) Aerotech astrobee D (purchased in 1996 finally started gluing stuff about a year ago) primered but in need of sanding and initial painting (prior to fin attachement)

3) 1/130th Saturn I block two (see "art of scale model rocketry). All parts (except external gewgaws) ready for paint prior to assembly. I cant decide if I'm going to bother to fill the tube spirals or not.

4) Centuri Saturn V (purchased in 1973 and mostly built) restarted this past july. I finally attached the basswood tunnels, tried to clean it up as much as possible...

I've got to get off my gluteous maximus and finish ONE of these things at least before the season is over. Most likely it'll be the ventris as it's the least complicated!!!!

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #9101 by deangelo54
Your comment concerning painting the Astrobee before fin attachment caught my attention. I have always started painting after fin attachment. I guess with the Aerotech snap in fins you can paint before attachment. That Aerobee does look like a nice kit.

I've been dragging my feet with the Executioner. I got the basswood fins back from the wood working shop so now I have no excuse. I am a streak builder. I need to get into the zone then I go all out and pay strict attention to detail.

My Leviathan suffered some damage so I'll be buying some parts from Estes to repair that rocket. Boris gave me a bunch of body tubes but they are not compatible with Estes tubes. They are significantly thicker. I think they are either Madcow or Loc tubes.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by deangelo54.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #9105 by deangelo54
This weekend we completed the last of the serious summer home projects so now I can concentrate on rocketry projects. This weekend I got the motor mount, fins and fin fillets for the Executioner installed. I even started painting the upper body tube. I also started building up a rocket from some parts a CMASS member gave me during the summer. The Leviathan parts should come in today so I can also get that going. A rocketeer's job is never done.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #9111 by deangelo54
I have all the parts I need for the Leviathan, Executioner and stray parts project.
For the most past it has all come down to painting. As many of you may remember, I was infamous for NOT painting my rockets. Kenn once asked me why I don't paint my rockets. At NY Power 2017 the LCO said we have a naked rocket on pad 4 going in 5,4,3,2,1. Jennifer from Northeastern University made me see the light when she said one of the most fun parts of rocketry is coming up with a paint scheme. Since last year I saw the light and started painting my rockets once again.
As much as I try and despite Krylon's claim of no runs not drips, I still manage to get runs. I'll keep trying to improve my painting techniques. How does Tony V. do it?