× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Winter Projects

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #8862 by deangelo54
Winter Projects was created by deangelo54
Last year we had a topic for winter projects. I have the Torrent project which is a separate topic but I am curious what other members are working on. I'm also wondering where people paint their rockets. Outdoors in your yard, in the basement, under an over pass, a garage? Since I'm at a stopping point until I can paint the Torrent, I'm thinking of taking a road trip to the Spare Time shop in Marlboro to pick up another kit and support a local hobby shop.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by deangelo54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanTyszka1966

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #8870 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter Projects
The kit I purchase last Saturday at the Spare Time Shop is an Estes Chuter-Two. I was skeptical about getting two chutes in a BT50, not to mention chasing after two separate sections. I modified the kit so that the air frame is one section with one chute. So far I have installed the MMT and three out of 4 fins. It's a fun kit to build and I look forward to flying it in Acton and not have it land in a tree or power lines Ha Ha. I'm even thinking of painting it.

More
6 years 1 month ago #8882 by DanTyszka1966
Replied by DanTyszka1966 on topic Winter Projects
Hi Frank,

Thanks for taking the initiative to "relaunch" the winter build string. I found last year's string an inspiration to get out of my post-holiday "rut" and start building for the upcoming season. This year again, the thread has had similar a inspirational effect for me. So thanks for that.

So my build goals this year are somewhat modest...No major projects for me this winter. (I've reluctantly decided to shelve my "dream" of the past few years to buy and build an ARR Blue Phenix for a L1 attempt). Instead, I've set the more realistic goal for myself of just burning down my backlog of unbuilt kits. (I can actually see myself getting thru them all!)

Here's this winter's build list:

1. Finishing up my Estes Astron Sprint XL
2. Starting my Flis Kits Rose-A-Roc (my first helicopter recovery model)
3. Building another wood & dowel rack for display and transport of recently built rockets
4. Proudly watching my son, Ben as he builds his 2-stage Flis Kits Cheetah, completely on his own, after a couple years away from building rockets.

This last one was actually a bit of a pleasant surprise. Ben and I have been building and flying rockets together for several years (mostly at CMASS launches, but occasionally at the joint launches with MMMSC in Berwick & RIMRA in S. Kingston, or at "special" launches in upstate NY...We've been to LDRS 34, URRF 3, and NYPOWER 21 in recent years). We used to do a lot of rocketry stuff together when Ben was younger, but as he's gotten older (he's now a Jr in HS), and gotten into other things, we seem to spend a little less time each year doing rocketry. (Only did the 1 NYPOWER launch together last year.) As those of you with kids know, this tends to happen as the kids grow older.

A couple of weeks ago, Ben got an unusual assignment in his High School English class, as they were studying some works of literature on transcendentalism. The class was challenged to spend one "Thoreau-like" week completely unplugged from technology during their leisure time, and to give a presentation on how they spent their time, and reflect on the experience . Much to my surprise, Ben decided to "pick up a dormant hobby" during his week off the screens for this assignment, and decided to finally build his Cheetah rocket. His presentation touched on the quality father-son time we've spent together in the workshop, and out in the country / on the farms at rocket launches (and occasionally tromping thru the woods looking for lost rockets!). I was blown away by the way he embraced his project! And his Cheetah rocket is coming along nicely and will definitely be ready to fly in the early spring.

We are planning to attend the NAR National Sport Launch together this spring over Memorial Day weekend. With this being Ben's Jr Year in HS, this will probably realistically be one of the last times we'll do a BIG father-son rocketry weekend like this. We're both looking forward to it, and we'll definitely have some new birds to fly.

Hoping a few CMASS folks decide to make the trip out to Geneseo for the NSL 2018. It's a spectacular field, and the MARS club does a great job putting on their annual Memorial Day weekend launch. (NYPOWER 21 was awesome last year!). Those who decide to make the trip won't be disappointed.

Also hoping we might also be able to sneak in one more CMASS launch together at the Amesbury field before Ben moves into his busy Sr year and the college search & application process. So many great memories of those Amesbury launches over the years...We'll see.

Hoping 2018 will be a good year for us all, (rocketry-wise and otherwise)

Dan Tyszka
CMASS member since 2013
NAR # 95916

More
6 years 1 month ago #8883 by DanTyszka1966
In response to your musing:

"I'm also wondering where people paint their rockets. Outdoors in your yard, in the basement, under an over pass, a garage?"

I normally paint outdoors in the yard, when the weather is nice and the winds are low. During the cold months, or when it's windy, I'll usually try to paint in the garage, with the door closed (after pulling the cars out, to avoid misting on the finish!). I usually use the rattle can method , holding my rockets at arms length on "wands" made of rolled up newspaper, with a plastic bag wrapped around my hand.

The warm weather this week might be the chance we've been waiting for to finally get a couple of coats on those new rockets!

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #8884 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter Projects
Last year we all went to the NY Power Launch during Memorial day weekend. Hopefully we can join you for the NSL this year. As far as winter projects, last years post did inspire me to get going so this is a helpful topic. Today I had the day off so I finished the Estes Chuter-Two which I painted by hand. I have an Estes Hy-Flier XL on the way. I've seen a couple at CMASS launches and figured I get one.

More
6 years 1 month ago #8886 by DanTyszka1966
The Hi-Flyer XL is a nice rocket. I built one of those myself recently...Flies really nicely on E9 & E12 BP motors (and even D12s). When building yours, be sure to provision for the possibility (likelihood) of needing to accommodate added nose weight. I read on a few online forums that the Hi-Flier XL model can be tail heavy and borderline unstable on it's own. So I did the Barrowman stability calculation and confirmed that yes, nose weight is indeed needed (even though none provided with kit.)