× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Project Torrent

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Frank DeAngelo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #8800 by Frank DeAngelo
Since Linda enjoys attending launches so much I thought it only fitting that she should surprise me this Christmas with a MadCow Torrent kit from Apogee Components. It features a 4.0" body tube and 38mm motor mount. The Apogee web site has a 10 part video series on how to built and paint it. I was thinking of eventually using it for a level II certification flight with a Jolly Logic Chute release system (birthday present) in April. Of course I will have to visit Animal Works for the 38mm CTI casing, enclosure and reloads.

www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Kits/Skill-...-Rocket-Kits/Torrent
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Frank DeAngelo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 3 weeks ago - 9 months 3 weeks ago #8807 by Frank DeAngelo
This post goes out to our local CMASS RSO or anyone else that wants to reply.
When I raced motorcycles I would check in with the tech inspectors ahead of time to make sure a modification I was making would pass safety check and was within the rules. I thought that would be a good idea when it comes to rockets so here are my questions.

The Torrent comes with eye bolts but they are not forged eye bolts. I checked Lowes last nigh and they don't have the forged eye bolts. I watched several YouTube videos and noticed that the Torrent owners use the non forged eye bolts. The Torrent weighs in at 63 ounces (~4 lbs) with out the casing and engine.

With an eye bolt I can use a heavy duty quicklink to replace the shock cord in case I ever need to change it out. (Got the idea from John Coker
) With a U bolt I won't have the room to disconnect/connect a quick link. I do plan on purchasing shock cord protectors..

I think I heard someone from CMASS mention putting epoxy in that space on the eye bolt where the loop almost meets the bolt part.

Will I pass safety check if I use the eye bolts that come with the Torrent? Are they safe for use with a 648-J-285 engine?
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Frank DeAngelo.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #8810 by Guy Wadsworth
This size project and motor is getting into the size where I would start being concerned with non-forged eyebolts. A good local hardware store should have a selection if you want to go that route. My local True-Value (County Stores) stocks them. If not, just some J-B Weld epoxy across the gap will work.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 3 weeks ago #8812 by Frank DeAngelo
I have noticed in several other videos that people are not using forged eye bolts for level two flights. Be that as it may, I will check the True Value hardware store in Winthrop. I checked Home Depot last night, no deal. The big stores all seem to carry the same thing. I was thinking of your suggestion of using J-B Weld (Original not the Kwik). I will bring the partially built kit to the January 16th meeting if any of the attendees have any suggestions concerning contruction techniques.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 2 weeks ago #8813 by Frank DeAngelo
Happy New Years. The True Value stores near me are closed. In the mean time I applied some J-B Weld to the eye bolts. I used a file, 60 and 100 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface. Then I cleaned the area with paint thinner to remove any dirt or oil from my hands. I applied tape to protect the threads. I used a piece of paper to force some of the adhesive into the gap then applied the J-B Weld all around the area. I have a photo but I don't know if we can attache photos to Forum posts.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #8815 by Frank DeAngelo
Attached to this post is a photo of the eye bolts like ducks in a row waiting for the J-B Weld to dry. Do you think I used enough or should I give it another application?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Frank DeAngelo.