× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Chute Release vs Traditional Methods

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #8728 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Chute Release vs Traditional Methods
There is also human error with tradtional dual deploy. I hope to learn more about the Jolly Logic and hear from more rocketeers. It would be interesting to analyze the cost of the Jolly Logic versus traditional dual deploy. What I like about the Jolly Logic is that it can be easily transfered from one rocket to another. My original thinking was, "Gee if I lose a rocket with the Jolly Logic there goes a lot of money." The same can be said about losing an altimiter and an electronics bay. With easier and portable dual deploy maybe we will lose less rockets that drift away by strong winds.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #8736 by therocketn00b
Replied by therocketn00b on topic Chute Release vs Traditional Methods
BP dual deployment isn't really an option for me, as I live in an apartment, and don't have a safe place to store black powder, so the Chute Release really puts higher flights where you'd really want dual deployment within my reach.

While I did lose a Chute Release in Maine last year, due to dumb bad luck, over all it has saved a lot of my rockets from disappearing. And while the kits I build don't cost much, I do put a lot of time into them, so they are kind of an investment.

It also adds a level of excitement to the flight. As the rocket tumbles from apogee, you wait to see the chute open. When it does, it's another exciting event, where with traditional apogee deployment, the excitement is kind of over once the chute is out, and you just hope it doesn't drift too far.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #8738 by deangelo54
As a business major I see that you make a very good point. Eventually the chute release pays for itself by saving rockets that you may have lost without it. Once you get past the break even point you're ahead of the game. Then if you eventually lose it the situation is not as bad because it already paid for itself. Another good point you make concerns not being able to store the black poweder and all the other stuff you need for traditional dual deploy.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #8745 by deangelo54
I was looking through the latest issue of Sport Rocketry. I noticed two ads for third party products for use with the Jolly Logic Chute release. One was a protective pouch which sounds like a good idea. The other was some type of drogue chute. It is a good sign when companies market items for a given product. That means the Jolly Logic is an accepted standard and that they have a high sales volume. It reminds me of when companies were making products in support of the IBM Personal Computer. Perhaps if anyone of you happen to strike up a conversation with Linda you can drop a hint as to what she can get me for Christmas this year.