× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Chute Release vs Traditional Methods

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #8718 by deangelo54
Chute Release vs Traditional Methods was created by deangelo54
When the Jolly Logic chute release system first came out I was skeptical. Especially when I found out the price. I was of the thinking that real rocketeers get their certification levels using the traditional method of black powder and ignitors for duel deploy. I recently looked at the Apogee Components BT60 duel deploy kit and started pricing all the items you need. Suddenly the Jolly Logic didn't seem so expensive or such a bad idea after all. After years of flying, duel deploy is starting to make more sense even for smaller rockets and engines. I was just wondering what other rocketeers thought?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #8721 by BDB
Replied by BDB on topic Chute Release vs Traditional Methods
The Chute Release is a game-changer for the hobby. I love mine so much that I bought another, so it wouldn't be lonely in my launch box. I have dabbled with dual deploy with my larger rockets, but I prefer the chute release for its simplicity. In fact, I just used it for my L2 cert flight last month.

If you're at a RIMRA launch or if I make it up to a CMASS launch later this year, I'd be happy to let you borrow mine.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #8722 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Chute Release vs Traditional Methods
Hi Brenton, Nice to hear from you. I will be at the September 16th CMASS launch. Jason from Animal Works sells the Jolly Logics and speaks highly of them. He told me that it is very reliable if you use it correctly. I agree that it is a game changer for the hobby. I'm wondering if my friends at MIT can come up with a lower cost alternative. If I see you on the 16th I would appreciate if you could show me yours and explain how you set it up.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by deangelo54.

More
6 years 6 months ago #8723 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Chute Release vs Traditional Methods

Jason from Animal Works sells the Jolly Logics and speaks highly of them. He told me that it is very reliable if you use it correctly.

Gee, a salesman speaking highly of his product - must be true! ;) Really, the product does make for some better recoveries, but, as with all things, it needs to be used correctly (i.e., read and follow the instructions).

I'm wondering if my friends at MIT can come up with a lower cost alternative.

Let your friends at MIT develop their own products; Beans deserves to make the money off this idea he brought to the hobby. If your friends at MIT need something to do, have them install an adequate ventilation system in the test bunker in Building 37. :sick:

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #8724 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Chute Release vs Traditional Methods
The Jolly Logic is something that the hobby has needed for a long time. Maybe someday rocketeers will look back and say, "How did people ever do dual deploy before the invention of the Jolly Logic." The inventor does indeed deserve to make a profit for his research and development of this product. Hopefully his invention is protected by a patent. The person that invented TV got hosed by RCA. What's Building 37, is that like area 51?

More
6 years 6 months ago #8727 by rocket_rob
Replied by rocket_rob on topic Chute Release vs Traditional Methods
I love the Jolly Logic chute release compared to dual deploy. The only problem I've had with it was human error, I didn't pack the chute in a way that the rubber band would have enough strength to hold the parachute closed at ejection. It was a smaller parachute and I needed to pack it in so it was a larger diameter. Other than that, the ease of use and lower cost (overall) made me want one and continue to use one. I do plan on using dual deploy, because there's a side of me that likes the challenge.