× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Range Etiquette

• hgreenblatt
  • hgreenblatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 7 months ago #4374 by hgreenblatt
Range Etiquette was created by hgreenblatt
This thread was started in the \"Mass Video and Frick-N-Frack Launch\" thread and continued here. We\'re collecting ideas about how to let new people at the launches know about range etiquette. I\'ll update the website with whatever we come up with. I think Bill\'s idea of adding the info to the driving directions is a great idea. We already do that with driving and parking rules for Amesbury.

Why don\'t we start with collecting a few basic etiquette rules here. This is obviously in addition to the NAR safety code and the additional high power code for Amesbury, and specific to our CMASS launches.

I\'ll start with a couple already discussed:

1) Leaving other people\'s rockets alone after they land, unless the owner acknowledges you can collect it. A few caveats here for finding and recovering lost rockets and saving people long walks (which can be sort of a grey area).

2) Saving Kenn the trouble of typing here - \"No running through the launch circle!\".

Please add your thoughts, wisdom and experiences here.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4376 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re:Range Etiquette
Maybe a carrot as well as a stick approach is a good idea. I know it can be really exciting for kids of all ages to see their first launch. We could make sure we include the notice of the availability of the loaner rockets for anyone that wants to participate and doesn\'t have their own rocket. That might focus them on their own launch and make them less likely to be over zealous in recovering other\'s rockets. It would also give one of us the opportunity to gently remind/educate new comers to range etiquette and prep technique.

Guy.

Still Chairman of the re-elect John for Treasurer Committee.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4378 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re:Range Etiquette
Very good. Agreed that there should be a web page entry, PDF download (which can double as a handout) The way I see it there is 2 parts to this...titled...

4) \"What Kids Need to Know\", what to do and not do

5) \"What Parents Need to Know\", why we have 4) and what parents are expected to do to keep their kids under control.

> 1) Leaving other people\'s rockets alone after they land...

There are some exceptions...I read on another rocketry site... 1a) on a windy day, its ok to fold up the parachute and stuff it under the body tube to prevent the rocket from being dragged along the ground. This makes a lot on sense and I do this from time to time. 1b) If a rocket/booster is clearly \"lost\" and you happen upon it, its probably better to fetch it back to the RSO.

> 3) notice of the availability of the loaner rockets

Bill has mentioned starting/re-starting fly-it-and-take-it program, which dovetails nicely with Guy\'s suggestion.

Alan Swanson
Chairman of the Howard for Secretary Committee
Co-Chairman of the Bill or Ed for President Committee
Co-Chairman of the John for Treasurer Committee

More
13 years 7 months ago #4381 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Range Etiquette
Possibilities for the etiquette list:

The LCO and RSO are the ultimate authority on the range.

Carrying on a conversation next to the LCO is distracting.

\"Heads up\" means there is something falling from the sky that can harm you. Look for it.

Possible wording for the top of the list:

For the safety and enjoyment of everyone we ask that you observe these rules.

Possible working for the loaner rockets.

New to rocketry, just getting backing into the hobby or visiting from out of town? CMASS has several loaner rockets so you can do more than just watch.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4385 by dlindbergh
Replied by dlindbergh on topic Re:Range Etiquette

\"Heads up\" means there is something falling from the sky that can harm you. Look for it.

And if you see it, point at it, so other people will know where to look.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4387 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re:Range Etiquette
Range etiquette at the 8/28 launch was particularly bad because of many new fliers and kids (and parents not supervising their children).

When we see that this is a problem, it would be helpful to announce through the PA something to the effect:

\"We at CMASS welcome the many new enthusiastic fliers and hope every one has a great time. For safety and courtesy to other fliers, please:
> Do not chase other people\'s rockets as they come down to the ground.
> Do not touch other people\'s rockets.
> Do not pick up other people\'s rockets.
> Stand well back from other people\'s rockets when they come down to the ground for your safety, as sometimes the motors or ejection charges are still burning.
> We ask parents to help their children to follow these safety rules so that no one gets hurt and no ones\' rockets are needlessly destroyed.\"