× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Snow

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #7834 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re: Snow
A lot of snow can sublimate or melt in 2-3 weeks if the weather is right. Consider postponing the 14-Mar launch until 21-Mar-2015 if conditions dictate. Will try to stop by Amesbury 8-Mar and measure the snow depth at the launch site. With snowshoes and the toboggan, the equipment can be delivered to the launch site from Lion's Mouth Road, no problem.

The question becomes will TARC participants be prepared with appropriate footwear.

-Alan
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by alan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• billspad
  • billspad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
9 years 1 month ago #7844 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Snow
For the first time since the end of January there's less snow on the trailer!

http://www.cmass.org/index.php?view=image&format=raw&type=img&id=1743&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=68

More
9 years 1 month ago #7846 by alan
Lots of sun forecast for this upcoming week. I'm going to hike / snowshoe out to the range head at Amesbury tomorrow (8 March, Sunday) to see what the snowpack is doing. Since the snowfall was dry and windy this year, I expect to find hilltops with less than 12 inches of snow with 24 plus in drifts on the leeward slopes.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #7847 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Snow

Lots of sun forecast for this upcoming week. I'm going to hike / snowshoe out to the range head at Amesbury tomorrow (8 March, Sunday) to see what the snowpack is doing. Since the snowfall was dry and windy this year, I expect to find hilltops with less than 12 inches of snow with 24 plus in drifts on the leeward slopes.

I will be there tomorrow with the Amherst and Notheasten SLI Teams. I plan to be there around noon. We should try and meet up.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by hgreenblatt.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #7853 by alan
Amesbury trip report 8-Mar-2015 - TARC on 14-Mar-2015 in Amesbury looks feasible. There is parallel parking for 20+ cars along the south side of Lions Mouth Road as reported by Kenn. There is sort of parking for 5 vehicles in the driveway, if you have a truck (no room for trailer, and you have to back out, no turn around). There has been considerable foot traffic along the dirt road route, packing the snow, such that you can walk all the way out to where the creek crosses the road without snowshoes or skis. At the range head, there is a bare spot near where the trailer usually goes, and Pad C also has a bare spot. As expected, in valley going out to Pad C the snow is over two feet deep.

In between all the goodness reported above is on average 12 to 18 inches of snow, with up to 36 inches in some isolated sections. On the hill where the low power pads go, there is about 12 inches average. Some of the snow is crusted over, but not the majority. Participants will need to wear boots (sneakers and low cut hiking shoes aren't going to cut it) once you get off the "trail" (dirt road). Once we go thru this next week of warm weather, there is going to be less snow, and the crust over is going to be softened up considerably as the day progresses. For those on recovery teams, expect the spend two to four times the normal time unless you have snow shoes or skis.

As Kenn reported, there has been sledding and activity on the hills on the smaller fields on the south side of Lions Mouth Road. Yes, there has been a lot of foot traffic, but overall the snow pack is the same as the big field on the north side, so I don't see any advantage to moving the TARC launch to the south side. In fact, there may be sledding going on. Just my two cents, Bill and the officers can make the call where to locate the range. Will need some additional set up time to haul gear, maybe arrive 30 minutes earlier than usual. Bring a sled if you have one to haul gear.

Some photos to come tomorrow 9-Mar. -Alan
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by alan.