× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

New to CMASS

More
9 years 7 months ago #7538 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: New to CMASS

Does CMASS have a standing waiver? What is the max altitude I can plan for?

I'm really excited about getting back into model rocketry and being a part of CMASS.

Randy

For our launches in Amesbury, there is a 3900' above ground level (AGL) limitation. This allows us to operate without interfering with any approach paths to Logan Airport. If you can keep your Level 1 attempt below 1500', apogee ejection with the motor should be okay depending on the wind conditions. Dual deploy becomes a good idea above that. Something to practice once you get your L1.

The launches we have in Acton are strictly low- and mid-power rockets and the size of the field should inspire one to keep the flights low and recoverable.

Our cousin club in Maine has a 10,000' AGL waiver. It's a very large field but still sees lots of dual deployment rockets just to ensure they don't wander too far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyR
  • RandyR's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #7539 by RandyR
Replied by RandyR on topic Re: New to CMASS
Thank you, this is very helpful. The rocket was built intended for dual deploy. I built it incorporating PMLs CPR3k in the eBay. I wasn't planning on taking it anywhere to max altitude on the first flight anyway, but I am planning on using dual deploy for the L1 unless advised against it. In fact, 1500' was exactly my first flight target.

Nice that the club in Maine has 10,000' AGL for future dreams of adding the Terrier Booster for the Mini BBX and letting her rip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.