× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

New Member, Looking for Advice

More
9 years 7 months ago #7486 by lentamentalisk
Replied by lentamentalisk on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice
Hey guys, back with another question:

Being new to Boston, I am having an impossible time finding a good local hobby shop. Back home my Ace had a basement chalk full of everything you could ever want. Have any of you found a favorite hobby shop around here? I'm living in Cambridge, but if necessary will travel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #7487 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice
Jamie,
On our Links tab on the left, we have a Local Hobby Shops listing. "Local", though, is a relative term. Of those listed, Spare Time in Marlborough is probably the closest to you. Not listed is Dave's in Beverly. I've not been to Spare Time but many members have; I've been to Dave's - he carries Estes kits and maybe some others as well as general hobby supplies, last time I was there.

For better or worse, online shopping seems to be the best way to get many supplies. Our local launches are covered by AMW and Fliskits and you can get lots of kits and building supplies from these two sources.

Hope this helps.
Kenn

P.S. When I was living in Arlington a couple of decades ago, traveling outside of 128 seemed like a big trip. If you find something closer in, let us know and we can add it to the list.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by KennB.

More
9 years 7 months ago #7488 by lentamentalisk
Replied by lentamentalisk on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice
Thanks! It actually looks like Hobby Emporium and RC Buyers Warehouse may be right on my way home from my new job (loooong commute). If I find anything closer to Boston I'll make sure to add it.

More
9 years 7 months ago #7489 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: New Member, Looking for Advice
RC Buyers Warehouse is a great place for building supplies and RC planes and equipment. They stock some Estes items, but these are in a small section on the back right hand wall in the shop. Hobby Emporium has a much broader selection and carries more than just Estes, at least the last time I was there which was a couple of years ago. I used to commute from Brookline, NH to various places around the Rt128 area, so they were on my commute as well, heading up and down Rt3. My shortest commute over the years was 46 miles each way.

Guy.